Re: Hacking a script (makemenu.pl)

Thanks Willie and Jim. This version of perl allows globbing so I expected it
to work just fine with the <> operator. But, there are so many differences
between MSWindoze and Unix/Linux systems I thought the developers of this
distribution of perl would accomodate Win32's crippled OS.

"James E Keenan" <jkeen_via_google@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Frank Louden wrote:
>
> > Hi. Infrequent hacker here.
> >
> > (Originally posted to alt.comp.lang.perl. Not much happening over
there!)
> > (OK, then to comp.lang.perl where a kind soul redirected me.)
> >
> > I've spent the last two days trying to hack H. Churchyard's makemenu.pl
so
> > it will work on my WinME PC. I've got lots of hair but I won't have for
> > long.
>
> You didn't provide a link so I had to google. When I did so, the pages
> I came up with were discussing "htmlchek version 4.0, January 17 1995".
> And this was documentation -- not the code itself.
>
> While I suspect there are probably readers of this list who are familiar
> with this script, I frankly suspect that better tools have been
> developed in the last ten-and-a-half years. What task are you trying to
> accomplish?
>
> Jim Keenan

  • Re: Help for a new Perl User - Looking for suggestion
    ... >> I am trying to read a log file and generate some statistics from it. ... >> contains a numeric identifier and the last column contains a NYSE ... > Jim 48% cat scadav.pl ... > Some more pointers for those new to Perl: ...
    (comp.lang.perl)
  • Re: speed test
    ... I can write a Perl program in less than half the time it would take me to write the same program in C, C++, or Java. ... everything that Jim said is true. ... One more minor point is that two people given the same programming tasks and the same two languages may make different versions faster than the other. ... From my own experience, I implemented something in Perl and when its running time and memory usage exceeded my patience level ), I ported it to C++. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Learning Perl
    ... Jim> IOW, in Perl, a semicolon is a statement separator, not a statement ... Jim> terminator. ... In Perl, it is indeed a statement terminator, but only for those statements ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Interrupting a script during execution for user help file
    ... And jim, the first ... Not a problem in perl The ... Mainlyl ... Prev by Date: ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)