Re: Shebang not working

On 03 Jan 2006 02:29:12 GMT, Abigail <abigail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Sam CARMALT (scarmalt@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote on MMMMDVII September MCMXCIII
>in <URL:news:2hthr156j56j53ioc42hcjuq601qdlac09@xxxxxxx>:
>[] I'm having trouble launching a Perl script with the shebang operator.
>[] OS is SuSE 9.2 Professional. So far, I haven't had any helpful
>[] insights at comp.os.linux.suse, and hope this isn't too far from Perl
>[] to post here.
>[]
>[] Complete Perl script:
>[]
>[] #! /usr/bin/perl
>[]
>[] print "Hello, World\n";
>[]
>[] This is contained in a file of 3 lines, left-justified, created with
>[] vi. It is saved with a directory entry of
>[]
>[] -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 44 Dec 31 15:32 hworld.pl
>[]
>[] In the /usr/bin directory, I find the following entry
>[]
>[] -rwxr-wr-w 3 root root 1160321 Oct 2 2004 perl
>[]
>[] which leads me to believe that permissions are OK.
>
>If your permissions read '-rwxr-wr-w' you have a serious problem.
>That shouldn't be possible. My guess is that the permission is
>'-rwxrw-rw-', which is also a serious problem - but one that's
>entirely your fault. It means you have a perl binary that's only
>executable by root, but that's writable by everyone! Can you say
>security hole large enough to drive a truck through?
>
>[] Now, here is how things work:
>[]
>[] #perl hworld.pl
>[] Hello, World
>[] #hworld.pl
>[] bash: hworld.pl: command not found
>[] #./hworld.pl
>[] bash: ./hworld.pl: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: Permission denied
>[] # ./hworld.pl
>[] bash: ./hworld.pl: /usr/bin/perl: bad interpreter: Permission denied
>[] #. hworld
>[] bash: hworld: No such file or directory
>[] #. hworld.pl
>[] bash: print: command not found
>[] #
>
>Yup. Consistent with a permission of '-rwxrw-rw-'.
>
>The permission ought to be '-rwxr-xr-x'.
>
>[] From these I conclude that there is something going wrong with the
>[] shebang line and getting started. Any pointers as to what I need to
>[] change will be appreciated. (Obviously, I need to fix this in order
>[] to use Perl in a CGI environment :)].
>
>Perhaps you should hand in your super user licence, and first learn
>Unix before continueing.
>

>Abigail

Just a typo - should have been -rwxr-xr-x.

Problem was that disk was mounted rw instead of acl.

Regards

  • Re: Shebang not working
    ... I'm having trouble launching a Perl script with the shebang operator. ... Consistent with a permission of '-rwxrw-rw-'. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Shebang not working
    ... I'm having trouble launching a Perl script with the shebang operator. ... bash: hworld: No such file or directory ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Executing a transferred perl script without setting permissions...
    ... > set to remove the excecute bit on the permissions when storing it. ... > run it standalone you would need to use chmod to set the execute bit. ... >>perl MyProgramme.pl ... What security problem do you think this could cause? ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: Executing a transferred perl script without setting permissions...
    ... >I just wrote a perl programme on a M$ Windows Platform, ... set to remove the excecute bit on the permissions when storing it. ... run it standalone you would need to use chmod to set the execute bit. ... >perl MyProgramme.pl ...
    (comp.security.unix)