Re: - The Dynamic Opportunity - ActiveState Komodo IDE / Open Source

Larry W. Virden wrote:
what is the business model for Activestate to recover expenses on the
editor?

My suggestion to provide an no-cost personal version (non-commercial and educational use) is not contrary to the existent business model.

I helps spreading the IDE and commercial users still have to order the professional version ($295,-).

-

But there are upcoming threats - and thus ActiveState should start to *prepare* to open-source the IDE (e.g. starting to isolate some code subsystems to go open-source).

-

"
Threats

eclipse dynamic language support - http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/dltk/
upcoming competitive IDE's (based on eclipse or others)
Suggestion

b) ActiveState should start preparing to open-source the Komodo IDE.
Benefit

Customers which would like to have a more compact solution than eclipse would prefer ActiveState, if the licensing is similar to that of eclipse.
"

http://lazaridis.com/samples/com/ActiveState/product.html

..

--
http://lazaridis.com

  • Re: Speed Up Compilation -article request
    ... Upgrading from Rational Application Developer (Eclipse based, BTW) from version 6 to version 7 for a team was a nightmare of metadata-file editing on a large team a few years ago. ... It would be really nice if IDE vendors could ... Ant does not require multiple entries for dependencies into multiple configuration files. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Eclipse ARM toolchain for the Linux
    ... the free GNU tools with the Eclipse IDE. ... Most programmers use the IDE that came with the tool, and rely on that for project management, compiler settings, etc. ... Doing things right takes time and money - it means more courses and education, or hiring more experienced employees that cost more money. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Codewarrior compiler command line???
    ... duplicate the command line for compile and link by telling it what IDE ... Far better would be to build the whole project from a makefile, ... Eclipse, I am happy with that for editing too. ... it's miles better than some of the editors in proprietary IDEs that I've ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: netbeans - or - Eclipse
    ... > Inviting comments about the free IDEs Eclipse and Netbeans ... > If you are using one of the two - have you tried the other IDE? ... Eclipse, and I'm unlikely to change again. ... The debugger is pathetic; I ...
    (comp.lang.java.softwaretools)
  • Re: GnatBench (from GPL edition)
    ... IDE without having to go through the rigmarole of producing it from ... understanding is that that pretty much the entire Eclipse IDE resides in its ... and in any event I don't know it anywhere near as well as I know Ada). ... one language is much like programming in any other. ...
    (comp.lang.ada)