Re: XML::Simple and utf8 woes

corff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

: Really? I'll have to try tomorrow, don't have an XP box here right now.

I still don't have an XP system at hand.

If you run the code with the -CS flag given to perl, even the innocent
print statement in the middle of the code will output two characters
instead of one utf8-encoded character, and this doesn't change the broken
output of the XMLout() statement.

This is beyond any expectation created after reading the perlrun manpage.

However, if XML::Simple is instructed in the XMLout statement to escape
all non-ASCII characters, then, miraculuously, the correct utf8 replacements
appear. It really drives me nuts.

Oliver.
--
Dr. Oliver Corff e-mail: corff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Catching Up on Books
    ... of stuff, mostly junk reading, ... Dexter series, which I tried out because I love the ... only based itself on the first of Lindsay's novels. ... creating new characters and doing ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)
  • Re: Catching Up on Books
    ... of stuff, mostly junk reading, ... Design, Dexter in the Dark ... only based itself on the first of Lindsay's novels. ... creating new characters and doing ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)
  • Re: Little C Help Please
    ... characters to read, so it hapily goes on reading even when the buffer ... represent the size of the buffer, and stops reading before that number ... I think the OP's problem was not a space in the input, but a newline ... Dig the even newer still, yet more improved, sig! ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Little C Help Please
    ... characters to read, so it hapily goes on reading even when the buffer ... represent the size of the buffer, and stops reading before that number ... I think the OP's problem was not a space in the input, but a newline ... Dig the even newer still, yet more improved, sig! ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: Whats the weirdest human language?
    ... you learn to match up combinations of two or more characters to recognize a word so that you can then pronounce it. ... He gets the meaning from context and doesn't give a fig what the pronunciation is. ... it becomes a logic puzzle that bears very little resemblance to reading. ... Japanese and Chinese people have both told me that they do this constantly while reading, and they can't understand why Westerners have such a problem reading words that they can't say. ...
    (talk.origins)