Howto Install a Perl Wrapper Module for a C Library Locally

Hi,
I am attempting to install a CPAN module: Tree::Suffix, in my local home directory.
Since I don't have SU previlege.

First of all I have installed the required libstree library (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~cpk25/libstree/)
in my particular home directory, namely $HOME/MyBioTool/libstree-0.4.2.

I have also set the environment like the following in my .bash_profile, so that the module can call it. The bash_profile looks like this:

__BEGIN__
# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
. ~/.bashrc
fi

# My path to the C library program
export CFLAGS="-I $HOME/MyBioTool/libstree-0.4.2/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L $HOME/MyBioTool/libstree-0.4.2/lib"

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:

export PATH
unset USERNAME
export PERL5LIB=/home/ewijaya/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i686-linux:/home/ewijaya/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5
__END__

However, when I tried installing the Tree::Suffix module using CPAN shell, I found error message that seems to fail to recognize where does my C library is stored. It returns something like this in the end:

Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

It seems to me it doesn't recognize the place where I store this libstree library.
I then try various way to install it manually:

$perl Makefile.PL CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I$HOME/MyBioTool/libstree-0.4.2/
include" LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L$HOME/MyBioTool/libstree-0.4.2/lib"

or

$perl Makefile.PL CCFLAGS="$CFLAGS" LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS"

or

perl -w Makefile.PL "INC=-I $HOME/MyBioTool/libstree-0.4.2/include"
"LIB=-L $HOME/MyBioTool/libstree-0.4.2/lib"

But without any success.
Does anybody have any experience with this kind of installation?
Is there anything I am missing here?

--
Edward WIJAYA
SINGAPORE

  • Re: Question for this Group ... dont flame me :)
    ... > default libraries and modules. ... So I wound up documenting the core basic perl modules that had ... LOL) who doesn't have access to install as root or ... said that it was our set of CPAN module extensions... ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: distribute and install problem
    ... > and target machines use Mandrake, and have a different architecture, ... admin to install the module. ... and use the CPAN module to install the bundle in one go. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.modules)
  • Howto Install a Perl Wrapper Module for a C Library in Home Directory
    ... I am attempting to install a CPAN module: Tree::Suffix, in my local home directory. ... Can't test without successful make ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Cant find loadable object
    ... you specified both PREFIX and a bunch of fine-grained ... directory options. ... be used by the CPAN module you were trying to install. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.modules)
  • Re: Question for this Group ... dont flame me :)
    ... Jeff Westman wrote: ... And please don't flame me for asking this. ... > don't have access to install modules that run in a production environment. ... > to point to a CPAN module when the code for it isn't that hard ...
    (perl.beginners)