Re: binmode and <>

jl_post@xxxxxxxxxxx schreef:

Running the following perl one-liner:

perl -ne "BEGIN{binmode(ARGV)} print length" blah.txt

prints "1", meaning that it didn't properly read the two bytes as two
separate characters, since the binmode(ARGV) didn't "take."

With "warnings" activated:

$ perl -wne "BEGIN{binmode ARGV} 1" < /dev/null
binmode() on unopened filehandle ARGV at -e line 1.

--
Affijn, Ruud

"Gewoon is een tijger."

  • Re: Encrypt a file, was Re: Encrpt a file
    ... On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Anish Kumar K wrote: ... Check out the perl stuff on this site. ... though I've been meaning to look at it. ... solely for the use of the addressee. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Checkbox - database checkbox, if checked gives value of 1 .. how to sum ?
    ... (reference "Use an effective followup style" section) ... And if you don't have a _specific_ question about programming in Perl ... (meaning, something _you_ wrote, not some application you downloaded ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Oh Flippineck
    ... Did you have a good OF party? ... something I have been meaning to ask you. ... What does "schreef ... in bericht" mean? ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Re: Best way to handle using a report template for non-programmers..
    ... > I would rather it be more readable to someone who does not know perl. ... > formatting would not handle starting a variable at a certain position ... Not sure if this would help you, but you could try using 'pack' to ... meaning, you have to adjust for spaces between columns of information. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Which language to use....
    ... affects the meaning of the code is something I haven't gotten use to. ... Otherwise, even new python programmers usually see the indentation as a big plus of the language, for several reasons (readability, vertical space savings, etc). ... Coming from perl, I've seen that regular expressions are much less used in python. ...
    (comp.databases)