Re: Non-blocking directory watching

Naw. I too am polling at the moment. This was more of a curiosity
question in the hopes of adding to my knowledge.

Thanks.
---Matthew
On Mar 9, 2:41 pm, xhos...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
"Matthew" <mmun...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all.

Is there a way to watch a directory for files w/o blocking? I was
hoping there was something similar to select but I have found nothing.

I can't think of a way of watching a directory *with* blocking (I'd just do
polling which may be inefficient but doesn't block waiting for a change to
happen). If you have such a method (efficient but blocking) in mind and
you share it with us, I might be able to help you make it nonblocking.

inotify will not work b/c of the linux kernel requirement. I'd like
to stay cross-platform

Xho

--
--------------------http://NewsReader.Com/--------------------
Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

  • Re: Non-blocking directory watching
    ... Naw. ... I too am polling at the moment. ... This was more of a curiosity ... I can't think of a way of watching a directory *with* blocking (I'd just do ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Why RosAsm Breaks on a large number of symbols
    ... > really appear in any definition of polling that I've ever ... suppose I sit in a loop testing a bit in an I/O ... A subtle distinction but important in terms of the "blocking" / ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Polling, Interrupts, DMA, Synchronous, Asynchronous I/O Definitions
    ... loop or "xchg eax, ebx; xchg ebx, eax" _could_ also be used in a ... instructions in a polling loop too...indeed, ... general is a "blocking" or "polling" affair... ... unnecessarily consuming CPU resources to do so... ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: f0dders Fabulous Wait States.
    ... As I've said many times in this very thread, the problem is that people are confusing two orthogonal concepts: "blocking versus non-blocking" and "polling versus interrupt-driven". ... No such flexibility is necessary. ... Pretty much a 3 out of 3 win there, though Hutch mentions some claptrap about the AMD K6-2 and Win98 from time to time he has never backed it up with a link to the KB at MSDN so I put that one in the single-malt induced fantasy file. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Hutch, give it up.
    ... > "blocking" function in a polling loop. ... NOT by spinning in a polling loop. ... > a duration of ZERO to yield, running ANY task that did something ...
    (alt.lang.asm)