Re: time structure without shift

Ian Wilson wrote:
Jürgen Exner wrote:
Now, is GMT the same as UTC or is GMT the local time in Greenwich?

GMT is the same as UTC. For half the year, localtime in Greenwich is
GMT.
It can be either or but not both.

For half the year it *IS* both. In the winter, local time in Greenwich
is GMT, in the summer the clocks (local time) are switched to BST. GMT
remains the same all year round (and is almost identical to UTC).

The Royal Observatory Greenwich says:
"Throughout the winter months we will be using Coordinated Universal
Time (almost identical to Greenwich Mean Time or GMT).

If even the observatory itself states that UTC is only _ALMOST_(*) identical
to GMT, then why use GMT if you mean UTC?
It is simply good practice to avoid terms that can cause confusion.

jue

(*) For those curiously minded readers: GMT is averaged astronomical time
while UTC is atomic time. Except for very specialized applications (e.g. to
drive a telescope) all computers are using atomic time.

  • Re: Gotta a question about Mixed Wedding
    ... I also quoted the headers ... except when Greenwich is on daylight ... They have stopped writing GMT and now have UTC and I ... henry dot goodman at virgin dot net ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: Twins paradox debunked and broken down
    ... The observatory at Greenwich is no longer the world's official ... By adjusting the length of the year on ... UTC has changed for such all along. ... The new adjustements will have to be done to atomic time also ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: Problems with the Timezone
    ... GMT-4 in solaris and even in windows has always work fine with GMT-4. ... zone designation, his hours/minutes/seconds were correct - but the ... system time, which should be UTC, was actually 8 hours off from UTC. ... # positive signs east of Greenwich. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: time structure without shift
    ... The Royal Observatory Greenwich says: ... If even the observatory itself states that UTC is only _ALMOST_ ... Most computers are embedded in toasters, refrigerators, digicams, ipods etc and are probably using their own internal clocks which are nothing like TAI or UTC. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] openSUSE + gpsd + PPS + NTP
    ... but I haven't actually looked at the message format in a while. ... GPS!= GMT. ... GMT is simply the time in Greenwich, ... UTC these days, but it is still actually different. ...
    (SuSE)