Re: Identify if a scalar is int, double or text

On May 11, 11:07 pm, anno4...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Klaus <klau...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:

On May 11, 2:49 pm, anno4...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Klaus <klau...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
I have a list of 4 scalars
my @L = (3, '3', 3.0, '3.0');
I want to write a subroutine type_id which returns either 'int',
'double', 'text' (or '?') for each of the scalars
I have found a solution where I use Devel::Peek, call Dump(), redirect
STDERR into an "in-memory" file ( \$data ) and analyse the "in-memory"
content:

[snip]

The B::* set of modules should have the means to get the info
without catching printed output.

That's it - it's the B module which I was looking for (I knew it
existed, but I never thought I would ever use it).

Thanks a million !!

Glad I could help, but I'm asking myself why you need to
know these differences. Perl works very hard to let us deal with
integers, floats, strings and references in a unified way. In
particular, the difference of a float and an int is usually
irrelevant. If it matters to your program, you are probably
not doing something the Perl way.

I agree with that.

But I have a case where I need more control over the way Perl manages
numerical values.

At one point in the future, I will certainly have to read "perldoc
perlxstut" to gain understanding of how I can use C to control
numerical values, but being on Windows XP / Activestate Perl 5.8.8
with next to no background in C, I thought I tackle the problem first
with whatever tool / module / function Perl is giving me.

Here is my case:

I have written a Perl program where some of the variables have a
special requirement, that is they deal exclusively with monetary Euro
values (i.e. the requirement is that calculations happens in normal
IEEE float/double arithmetic, and assignment to any special "monetary"
variable must be rounded to the 2nd decimal).

My first approach was to use sprintf("%.2f", $var) whenever I assign
values to a "monetary Euro" variable, but this falls foul of the way
numerical values are stored internally (i.e. 0.10 can not be
represented as an exact double).

I worked around that by storing integer "cents" rather than "Euros": I
use sprintf("%.0f", $var) when I assign "monetary" values.

That works fine, but I found out that a "monetary" value above 20
million Euros ( > 2^31 cents ) is not stored as an integer, but as a
double. As I said, it seems to work and the double seems to stick to
its "integer" properties, but I want to monitor very closely what
happens with that "double" if I grow bigger and bigger values.

My final solution would be to tie variables to some C-subroutines that
(efficiently) do 4 things when I assign values to that variable:

1. Round values to the nearest integer (same as sprintf "%.0f", but
more efficient).
2. If that value fits into an int (i.e. -2^31 <= val <= 2^31-1), then
it must always be stored as an int.
3. If it is stored as a double, then make sure that double has no
decimal.
4. If a value is too big to be represented as a double with no
decimals, then
4a.) either set the variable to the maximum integral "double"
value,
4b.) or, depending on a compile time option, die.

-- Klaus

Anno

  • Re: speed test
    ... How about the files parsing with huge size? ... I'm afraid perl can't finish the daily job so I want to know the speed ... It sounds a lot like you are parsing logs from a web server or well actually ... size of the data to parse grows there will be a bigger and bigger desire for ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Appending a character to a field
    ... it's to truncate the percent sign % from the df -k output, compare the ... percentage field to see if it's bigger than 90%, ... When evaluating a text in numerical context then Perl will take any leading number as the value and happily ignore any trailing non-numbers. ... This warning can be suppressed for a block with ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Perl - Get Two Decimals
    ... I can think of only one situation where trailing decimals are important: ... experimental measurements. ... because from what you wrote your Perl program would falsely increase ... May I ask _WHY_ you think you need to store numbers with two trailing ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Need help converting Perl to Ruby (detecting integers and decimals in strings)
    ... I am currently stumped on one particular line in the old Perl script: ... in the array and rounds any integers to 2 decimals. ... I tried the following in Ruby: ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Perl cant add up with sprintf ?
    ... > handle numbers bigger than 10 digits or so. ... we notice that your value is bigger than the biggest containable value, and as such will be set to the next value: ... everything is fine with Perl. ... -Japanese Proverb ...
    (perl.beginners)