Re: 12 hour clock and offset problem

Peter J. Holzer <hjp-usenet2@xxxxxx> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
On 2007-06-23 22:59, anno4000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<anno4000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Peter J. Holzer <hjp-usenet2@xxxxxx> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
On 2007-06-18 11:03, anno4000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<anno4000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The "x mod y" operation can be consistently defined for all real x and
y through

x mod y = x - y*floor(x/y) (y != 0)
y mod 0 = x

Ex falso quodlibet?

It is very customary to fix definitions when the original one
doesn't apply. Mathematicians do it all the time, provided that some
fundamental law(s) can be preserved by the fix.

But I think you mean:

x mod 0 = 0

No, I (or rather, Knuth and other Authors) mean

y mod 0 = x

What is x in this case? A random number? It doesn't appear on the left
side of the equation.

Oh dear. That's nonsense which I mindlessly repeated. I meant to say

x mod 0 = x

which is also what can be found in Knuth and other sources.

Anno

  • Re: 12 hour clock and offset problem
    ... Ex falso quodlibet? ... It is very customary to fix definitions when the original one ... Mathematicians do it all the time, ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: 12 hour clock and offset problem
    ... Ex falso quodlibet? ... It is very customary to fix definitions when the original one ... Mathematicians do it all the time, ... The law to preserve here is that x - is an integral multiple ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)