Re: Simple fork examples

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:43:17 +0000, QoS wrote:

In addition, if you want the script to work on more platforms, afaik it
is better to use threads.

No, threads on Perl are different from threads in all other languages.
Unless you know the severe restrictions on threads (for starters, no
signals) you may think about using them. I decided against threads in all
programs I wrote when the question came up. Even started a thread about
it a while ago, which has lots of answers you never wanted to know, but
must know if you contemplate using threads.

M4

  • Re: Quick question about using a table of text input fields within a javascrip function
    ... as he quotes the charter correctly (as I ... While not everyone interested in ECMAScript will know perl, ... other related languages (presumably any language used for CGI ... the only language I use for CGI programming. ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free?
    ... >of a different character - Knuth himself gives several examples in The ... Perl has its sweet spot domains (as a child of sed, ... with every branch tested both for correctness of the ... That someone who is a skilled programmer in some languages ...
    (comp.compilers)
  • Re: syntax extension, was Why context-free?
    ... because TeX doesn't have a precise description (merely a guide on ... Perl has its sweet spot domains (as a child of sed, ... with every branch tested both for correctness of the ... But there are plenty of wonderful languages ...
    (comp.compilers)
  • Re: a good career choice ?
    ... I don't believe that Perl is an old language that's ... existing modules that maybe don't exist for Ruby or anything. ... opinion abut ruby and other languages. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)