Re: Mac: Perl script that will run when double-clicked

On Aug 29, 5:54 pm, Anno Siegel <anno4...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On 2007-08-29 06:17:58 +0200, amirkar...@xxxxxxxxx said:

On Aug 22, 1:28 pm, amirkar...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
1) You need to chmod +x the script, or it won't run. Which sort of
defeats the purpose of creating adouble-clickable program, doesn't
it?

How so? What do you consider the purpose of making a perl script clickable?

Anno

Good point.

The idea here is that I'm going to have downloadable files that the
user saves to their disk so they can click on it & run without ever
needing to open a Terminal themselves or type stuff on a command
line.

In case you're wondering about the purpose, I have a site called the
Scriptome which provides simple data munging tools for non-programming
biologists. To make things as super-simple as possible (no install or
config necessary), we originally set it up to have Perl one-liners you
cut & paste onto a command line, but people kept telling us that non-
programmers are afraid of the command line. I worked out a way to
make .pl's do the right thing when clicked on Windows, but wasn't sure
how we could handle it on Mac. If I actually knew how to build Mac
apps easily, I could do this in a fancier way (volunteers welcomed!).
But I'm really aiming for this stuff to just work; prettiness, bells &
whistles are optional. (Sorry for the plug, but you asked!)

-Amir

  • Re: Network troubleshooting
    ... BTW, the computer is a Mac, not a MAC. ... But why use command line when the GUI ... I have a script that switches my network location when I wake from ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Dir.glob of mapped drive
    ... drive on my PC from my mac, but whenever I try the following script from the command line, it works fine, but when I try to execute it within Eclipse with the Ruby Development Tools plugin installed, it just terminates immediately with no output. ... jpg = EXIFR::JPEG.new ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Need a scripting help
    ... I am then executing that script. ... I want to know the time taken by each command. ... For that purpose i want to add date command after each line in the ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Problems trying to configure Linux laptop to print to Windows XP shared printer
    ... map to guest = Never ... check password script = ... enumports command = ... ldap delete dn = No ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • [RFC: 2.6 patch] remove the broken SCSI_ACORNSCSI_3 driver
    ... * Abandoned using the Select and Transfer command since there were ... Once debugged, remove the #undef, otherwise to debug, ... -unsigned int dmac_address ... * Purpose: differentiate between commands that have a DATA IN phase ...
    (Linux-Kernel)