Re: perl standard

Ben Bullock <benkasminbullock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:ffbjer$hif$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 01:32:53 +0200, Michele Dondi wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:10:13 +0000 (UTC), Ben Bullock
<benkasminbullock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You are claiming that Perl is "defined by its implementation" while
at the same time failing to define clearly what "implementation"
means. If the documentation which comes with Perl is inconsistent
with the behaviour of the computer program "perl", is the
documentation correct and the program faulty, or vice-versa? Or what
if "perl" has some abilities which

It depends: p5p's can tell. Someone must take care of making them
agree.

In other words you're admitting that the language isn't actually
defined anywhere.

Amazing, it still works better than anything else I have used.

Perl is defined by its implementation. As uncertainties arise, Larry and
others try to agree on what changes are necessary to make the
implementation do what people think it should do.

Is there a point to this argument?

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <1usa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
clpmisc guidelines: <URL:http://www.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc.shtml>

  • ANNOUNCE - Muldis::DB v0.0.0 released, in p5+p6
    ... I am pleased to announce the release of Muldis::DB version 0.0.0 for Perl 5 on CPAN. ... If you want to read all the Muldis::DB documentation that exists now, I recommend doing so in this order: ... Muldis::DB implements a D language as defined by Hugh Darwen and Chris Date, and presents a superior interface for working with the relational model of data, contrasted with SQL. ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: How to use select (select(2)) in Perl?
    ... }> global-assignment *across* a package does. ... Perhaps we could agree that the ONLY real change in the documentation ... } very thin wraper around that, that provides a Perlish interface. ... } be willing to bet that if perl hadn't had select in the first place, ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Wait for background processes to complete
    ... especially the ones about the Perl Documentation being ... There is no further reference to a "double fork" (except in the ... There is a general problem with perl documentation: ... and what the child should do depend on what you want them to do. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: issues with POD
    ... You need to find which magic package to install to give you ... and rely on it working properly, so providing documentation perldoc ... Nowhere have I opposed the use of perldoc. ... for a new language to learn to choose Perl, ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • perldoc -q date|time FAQ -- and -- Re: making same change to *lots* of files, *w
    ... whether the point 24 hours ago was in daylight savings time. ... How do I get a file's timestamp in perl? ... You use the utime() function documented in "utime" in perlfunc. ... Check the documentation for your specific version of Perl. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)