unicode via DBI on linux to sql server 2005?

I'm not really sure which forum to post this on!

I am attempting to retrieve data from an sql server 2005 database, hosted,
store and manipulated on a Windows box.

My code is running on a Linux box, and I have been given
read-only access to the DB server.

Connection via DBI is working well, but I am failing
to extract unicode data from the DB, which I understand
from googling is stored internally as UCS2.
(I can get ascii data and numeric data fine)

I am using perl, DBI, and the DBD::Sybase driver.

So - has anyone retrieved "international" data
in the same (or similar) circumstances as this?

BugBear
.