code written under 5.10.0 to be run under 5.8.8

I understand that one can specify that a script must be run under a perl
version no earlier than a particular version. So, if I say 'use 5.6.0',
that code will throw an error if one tries to run it under perl 5.5.0,
right?

But how about the reverse case?

Suppose I write code on my desktop, which has perl 5.10.0 installed, and
later transfer that code to a system that only has perl as far as 5.8.8.
How can I cause an error on the desktop if I accidentally use any of the
new features of 5.10.0, as I would want to do to signal incompatibility?
Is this sort of thing impossible?

  • RE: File Handling
    ... > extension for all the files in directory. ... > Plz help me in getting the things right in the following script. ... files - is actually a very common one for perl scripts. ... perl lets you specify wildcards on the command line: ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Multidimensional array
    ... package concept, but it is really very much like the USES statement in ... as the code in my script for handling the vars. ... perl script so it could be accessed from another site. ... The proper approach is to specify "good" characters. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Correctness vs. speed
    ... Modifying a script to take the most common situations into account ... In the awk command line or perl command line solution which would be ... easier to create and maintain for the OP, who needed a sort, as both are ... I think the awk command line solution is faster. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • 2005-11-20 [de.comp.lang.perl.cgi] FAQ
    ... Programmiersprache Perl in CGI-Scripten. ... Wo gibt es Dokumentation über Perl und CGI? ... Hilfe zum Programm perldoc kann man mit 'perldoc perldoc' ... Mein Script läuft nicht bei meinem Provider. ...
    (de.comp.lang.perl.cgi)