Re: The single biggest STUPIDITY in Perl ...

"jps" > ...
Well... Objects are a GOOOOD thing.
References are a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD thing.

My understanding is that scalars are always implicitly
passed by reference anyway, unless, or until, their value
is altered.

And I'm sure that perl has done the right thing, inspite of me,
more often than I'd care to admit,
It's just my hubris that I'd like to have a feeling
of at least the possibility of being able to exercise
more definite, simple and clear control over everything.
The kind of rush you can get from C or C++.
~~

At the moment, in my opinion, the way perl handles
unicode -- its utf8 flag usage etc -- is the worst thing about it.

But I hope to be able to take that back soon.
I hope to be able to say, authoritatively,
that it's the way that the-way-that-perl-handles-unicode
is explained, that's the worst thing about it.

  • Re: Scalar Reference Explanation? was (Re: new clpm troll)
    ... I am reading Perl Cookbook, ... > Chapter 11 on taking references to scalars. ... where the heck is your number and my 24532564 originating? ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: When to "use strict" when teaching?
    ... >>being influenced by the history of Perl ... history bias you" essentially the same as saying you are not ... An understanding of how symbolic references work is neither necessary ... I say don't expose people to the idea of omitting "use strict" until ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Teach me how to fish, regexp
    ... > some version of perl which might not be the one you are using. ... I guess you are talking about a typographic convention, ... > Of course when references arrived a new possibility became available and ... I keep getting deeper and deeper. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Logical order to read perldocs
    ... Steve Bertrand wrote: ... > I'm trying very hard to get a good grasp on OOP, references, complex ... > I just ordered Learning Perl Objects, ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: about dispatch tables
    ... Order Perl book online for free, ... By far, my first time through, I ... Having a good understanding of references will certainly help, ...
    (perl.beginners)