Re: Is there a better way to convert foreign characters?

bugbear <bugbear@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jürgen Exner wrote:
bugbear <bugbear@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jürgen Exner wrote:
First of all how would you react, if someone is mangling your name?
There is no "English version" of my first name.
But an English speaker might well search for "Jurgen Exner"
and hope to find you.

And my name may come up as the closest hit with a 91% match.

Accent folding is a key component of "loose" matching.

Having a second, closer look you are right. The OPs character set is
indeed very restricted to just simple accented characters and doesn't
include any of the more complex or additional characters found in the
other Latin-X sets.

Of course, accent folding only helps searching in a limited context.

If you have (e.g.) Japanese, Thai, Arabic data,
you're stuffed.

Not even talking about those but simple Skandinavian, Baltic, and even
German or Polish letters.

jue
.