Re: opening a client application from a server?

ccc31807 wrote:
On May 7, 10:44 pm, "A. Sinan Unur" <1...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1. What is eval doing there?

Sorry for the confusion. This is actually from an old script that
opened Word for another purpose, and I (perhaps confusedly)
resurrected it as a desperate measure.

2. You are mentioning this in the context of a CGI script running
on a web server.

Yes, see my reply to jue.

But then, you are the one keeps insisting that writing code without a
plan or design to 'get things done' is the right strategy.

I don't recall ever saying this. I have stated that I use ad hoc
methods for short scripts less than about 50 lines or so. but this is
different from just throwing code on the wall to see if any sticks.
Once you write the same code several hundred times, you don't need to
plan it -- you can do it in your sleep.

Now, you want others to help you make money because you haven't
done your homework and you are up against a deadline.

Hey, any port in a storm. ;-)

Here is your fish. Enjoy.

Which defeats the purpose. I'm /NOT/ writing a script to produce an
output file for a web server. I /AM/ producing the output file to
write to the file system. The 'eval' point you made above came from a
script that (1) queried a database, (2) parsed the data and stuffed it
into a hash, (3) created the outfile from the data, (4) invoked Word,
and (5) exited. It wasn't a CGI script and didn't use a browser for an
interface, but was run from the command line and didn't involve a web
server.

Anyway, Sinan, thanks for your help. I haven't run your code, but am
curious if it will actually work in Word 2007. So far, I haven't
gotten Word to open a document produced with WPML with a docx
extension, but Word 2007 works fine with a plain doc extension.

CC.

Not to put words in what Sinan and Jurgen are saying.

If you are dynamically creating the document, you don't need to write it to the file system and generate a link in a web page for the user to click on. You can simply send the document directly to the client browser *if* you send the proper html content type.

--

Len

  • Re: opening a client application from a server?
    ... output file for a web server. ... I /AM/ producing the output file to ... it to the file system and generate a link in a web page for the user ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Web Help
    ... And save it as "certificate.php" on your web server. ... do to get around the limitations with IWP reports is to build your own. ... and the "Go to URL" script step. ... Printing from the web is not the best as you can not compress ...
    (comp.databases.filemaker)
  • Script using dll and ocx (to integrate in IIS )
    ... I have a script for an Motion Jpeg that I have to integrate into a website ... to get a "live Image" from a network camera. ... But in this script I have to install a dll and an oxc on my ... Create a Web Server alias and use this as the image ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.ftp)
  • Sript using a dll an a ocx (to intigrate in IIS)
    ... I have a script for an Motion Jpeg that I have to integrate into a website ... to get a "live Image" from a network camera. ... But in this script I have to install a dll and an oxc on my ... Create a Web Server alias and use this as the image ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: shorten time to attempt to connect to back end
    ... Is it not the case that the web server could be written in any ... The script on that web server could be ASP, ... I'm not sure why the dependency on IE is needed. ... FTP script to upload data, and then called a CGI script on that web ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)