Re: problem running Convert::ASN1 on Windows XP

Quoth yawnmoth <terra1024@xxxxxxxxx>:
I installed ActivePerl on Windows and placed the contents of the lib
directory in <http://search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/
Convert/ASN1.pod> into a local folder.

This is a bad idea. Either install Convert::ASN1 using PPM, or install
Strawberry Perl instead of ActivePerl and use CPAN.

I then created a file -
test.pl - whose contents are identical to those at <http://
search.cpan.org/~gbarr/Convert-ASN1-0.22/lib/Convert/
ASN1.pod#SYNOPSYS> and... I get the following error when I try to run
"perl test.pl":

7 string
Can't use an undefined value as a symbol reference at Convert/ASN1/
IO.pm line 73.

That code is just an example. You're not meant to run it directly,
you're meant to read it, understand it, and learn from it. In
particular, it uses variables like $sock and $fh without setting them
up: the implication is that $sock should be a socket handle, but you
have to make that happen yourself.

Ben

  • Re: problem running Convert::ASN1 on Windows XP
    ... Convert/ASN1.pod> into a local folder. ... Either install Convert::ASN1 using PPM, ... Strawberry Perl instead of ActivePerl and use CPAN. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • RE: DBD::DB2 on Windows with Strawberry Perl
    ... In the linker command issued I see that there is no reference to ... seeing the commands and reading through the wiki on Strawberry Perl ... get pre-built binaries for it (ppm install). ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: Strawberry Perl capabilities?
    ... compiler and proper cpan setup. ... Likewise, if using Strawberry, you can install the PPM module. ...  Must Strawberry Perl be installed first on end-users' ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Lingua::Stem 0.83 module installation problem
    ... I'm not familiar with Strawberry perl but the error says it can't find ... You could then set PERL5LIB to include the path to the ...  I tried manually installing; perl Build.PL worked fine, ... I extracted from the compressed install file I ...