FAQ 8.47 How do I keep my own module/library directory?

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

8.47: How do I keep my own module/library directory?

When you build modules, tell Perl where to install the modules.

For "Makefile.PL"-based distributions, use the INSTALL_BASE option when
generating Makefiles:

perl Makefile.PL INSTALL_BASE=/mydir/perl

You can set this in your CPAN.pm configuration so modules automatically
install in your private library directory when you use the CPAN.pm
shell:

% cpan
cpan> o conf makepl_arg INSTALL_BASE=/mydir/perl
cpan> o conf commit

For "Build.PL"-based distributions, use the --install_base option:

perl Build.PL --install_base /mydir/perl

You can configure CPAN.pm to automatically use this option too:

% cpan
cpan> o conf mbuild_arg --install_base /mydir/perl
cpan> o conf commit

INSTALL_BASE tells these tools to put your modules into
/mydir/perl/lib/perl5. See "How do I add a directory to my include path
(@INC) at runtime?" for details on how to run your newly installed
moudles.

There is one caveat with INSTALL_BASE, though, since it acts differently
than the PREFIX and LIB settings that older versions of
ExtUtils::MakeMaker advocated. INSTALL_BASE does not support installing
modules for multiple versions of Perl or different architectures under
the same directory. You should consider if you really want that , and if
you do, use the older PREFIX and LIB settings. See the
ExtUtils::Makemaker documentation for more details.

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.
.