Re: Is PERL good for a linguist new to programming?

In Dread Ink, the Grave Hand of Uri Guttman Did Inscribe:

"FS" == Franken Sense <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Sorry, but what does this have to do with anything? :) I don't
>> follow.

FS> Uri and his ilk are why I would advise against thinking you can
FS> conquer the many idioms of perl by relying on usenet. Post a few
FS> more questions as you supplement your study and watch their tone
FS> slip as you don't follow Uri's life advice.

the fact you aren't learning perl quickly yourself is no reason to rant
about how usenet works or doesn't work. you have posted forever about a
trivially simple problem and have taken forever to grasp the simplest
perl idioms. you ignored coding and educational advice, you constantly
seem to compare perl ops to similar ops in c and can't see the
differences. your views on programming, and training aren't valid so why
did you jump in here? i can't wait for keel to stick his nose in too.

FS> clp.misc varies like any usenet group. Doesn't seem to be many
FS> OP's and Uri is front and center: hmmm.

huh?? try to make some sense.

FS> Other times, it's been nice. What's really helped me this time
FS> around is that I have a sysadmin buddy who looks at this stuff
FS> with me. I don't regret the fifty dollars I laid out for
FS> _Programming Perl_. YMMV.

so ask him to train you.

FS> BTW, I think it's unrealistic that you would pick up programming without a
FS> background in it. My $.02 .

speak for yourself. you have some programming background and can't pick
up basic perl that has been spoonfed to you. comment operator anyone?

uri

To OP: this is Uri in his usual tone. If you can read this while supposing
yourself to be the second person without wanting to tell him to get bent,
then clp.misc is for u and uri is ur man.
--
Frank

Most of us here in the media are what I call infotainers...Rush Limbaugh is
what I call a disinfotainer. He entertains by spreading disinformation.
~~ Al Franken

  • Re: ampersand subroutine
    ... NK> Uri Guttman wrote: ... NK> execute that you don't want, and your solution is to use exit. ... NK> You're a dick, you always are a dick here to anyone that doesn't ... logic or deep understanding of perl. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: grabbing a facebook group
    ... So, Uri, what do you think of your contribution to my thread: ... is obvious that the bug you had there IS NOT A PERL PROBLEM. ... Perl Code Review, Architecture, Development, Training, Support ... MvdW> *think* was fairly lucid English. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Parsing a report
    ... you use $pUserValue below and it could have old ... and the most common perl casing style ... Uri, is $p not a style of perl? ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: specifying use strict
    ... g> Uri, ... g> I dont know what a newsreader is (dont think I used ... args instead of package globals. ... g> to teach myself Perl under time constraints. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Complex datastructure documentation?
    ... Uri is absolutely right in this regard - I've been programming in Perl ... C/C++ programmers tend to like the second form because it's the same ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)