Newbie: Perl script to Windows and Linux executable versions.

Hey folks,

I have a perl script that I'd like to be able to run on Windows and
Linux. Is this easily possible?

Here's what I've tried so far... unsuccessfully!

I've tried to install PAR::Packer from CPAN. After having successfully
installed all its dependencies manually, I discovered that I couldn't
install PAR::Packer itself. I got the message:
Can't locate ExtUtils/ in @INC ...

I then tried installing ExtUtils/ from CPAN. Couldn't. This is
what I got: Going to build D/DO/DOUGM/ExtUtils-Embed-1.14.tar.gz
Writing files for ExtUtils::Embed tests...
Can't locate ExtUtils/ in @INC (@INC contains:

Not sure what the current recommended method is in the community for
what I'm trying to do. I'm looking for a 100% free/opensource
solution. Perl2Exe works but only on Windows and with an irritating a
few seconds delay on each invocation.