Re: New module: Array::Each

From: Brad Baxter (bmb_at_ginger.libs.uga.edu)
Date: 03/29/04

    Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:41:07 -0500

    On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Anno Siegel wrote:

    > Brad Baxter <bmb@ginger.libs.uga.edu> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > And this code returns groups of elements from each array, and it returns
    > > the value in $undef if we've gone past the end of any array:
    > >
    > > my @ret;
    > > foreach my $aref ( @$set ) {
    > > push @ret, map {$_<@$aref ? $aref->[$_] : $undef}
    > ^
    > What is that "$"? Not the result of a copy/paste operation for sure :)
    >
    > > ($i..$i+$group-1) }
    > > return ( @ret, $c );

    In fact, it is a copy/paste, but I can see it's confusing out of context.
    Here's another example of that construct that perhaps shows better my
    intent:

    sub each_group { # group is defined
        my $self = shift;
        my $group = $self->[GROUP];
        my $i = $self->[ITERATOR]; # inlined
        $self->[ITERATOR] += $group; # incr_iterator
        $self->[ITERATOR] = $self->[REWIND], # inlined rewind
            return if grep {$i >= @$_} @{$self->[SET]};
        my @ret;
        foreach my $aref ( @{$self->[SET]} ) {
            push @ret,
                map {$_<@$aref ? $aref->[$_] : $self->[UNDEF]}
                ($i..$i+$group-1) }
        ( @ret, $i );
    }

    So you see, $undef is really $self->[UNDEF], a user-definable value to be
    used when the code falls off the end of an array.

    > > I'd like to think this could be done with two maps in succession, but
    > > inspiration just hasn't come.
    >
    > The inner map can be written as a slice: @$aref[ $i .. $i + $group - 1]"
    > That will give you undef beyond the array limits. Since $_ is no longer
    > used in the inner expression, now the outer loop can become a map:
    >
    > my @ret = map @$_[ $i .. $i + $group - 1], @$set;
    > return ( @ret, $c);

    Yes, this will give me undef beyond the array limits, but I want it to
    give me $self->[UNDEF] (but not change _existing_ undefined elements).

    I took another close look at perlvar to see if I missed a special
    variable. I looked for one that would let me tell perl what to supply in
    the case of a slice element (or array element autovivification, too?) when
    it goes past the end. Something along these lines:

    my ( @a, @b );
    {
        local ${^UNDEF} = ''; # imaginary special variable
        @a = (undef)[0..2]; # note, undef NOT changed when explicit
        $#b = 2;
    }

    Then @a would contain (undef,'','') and @b would contain ('','','')
    instead of the current (undef,undef,undef). I don't think such a special
    variable exists--at least, I didn't see reference to one.

    Regards,

    Brad

    • Re: use strict; use warnings;
      ... array starts with one element and it should be 0. ... I think that warnings about undef are useful. ... or, as you know, if it's an array or hash,. ... initialization is the default. ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)
    • Re: Learning Perl
      ... Gordon> 1 ... Same goes for a hash. ... scalar, array, hash, they are defined until they are, well, ... defined, so until then, they are undef. ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)
    • Re: year not returned by Time::localtime
      ... Either the documentation is unclear or the behaviour is unexpected. ... 'wday' => undef, ... array however this distinction is syntactical since arrays and lists ... you can use array subscript notation ...
      (perl.beginners)
    • Re: Perl Help: Array Manipulation
      ... No. Think of this in terms of parallel assignment, ... puts the right-hand side in list context. ... The common idiom to populate an array with a particular value is to use ... = (1, undef, undef, undef, undef, undef); ...
      (perl.beginners)
    • Re: How to check empty hash value properly?
      ... thanks for your kind help. ... the element of hash and arrays? ... So an array or hash element may exist but have an undefined value. ... Note also that undef $arrayand undef $hashleave the element in existence ...
      (perl.beginners)