Can not Install XML::Parser

From: Barry Skidmore (skidmore_at_worldvenue.org)
Date: 09/29/04

    Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:26:04 -0500

    Note: this message was submitted to 'cpan-discuss@perl.org' but I have
    received no replies.

    --
    Solaris 9 - SPARCstation 20
    perl, v5.6.1 built for sun4-solaris-64int
    I am unable to install XML::Parser.  The build fails after not being
    able to locate xpat.  This does exist, and I have followed the
    instructions on setting EXPATLIBPATH, EXPATINCPATH, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
    Below is a transcript of what I have done, but there is obviously
    something else necessary.
    Thanks,
    Barry
    -----
    cpan> install XML::Parser
    Running install for module XML::Parser
    Running make for M/MS/MSERGEANT/XML-Parser-2.34.tar.gz
    Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lexpat
    Expat must be installed prior to building XML::Parser and I can't find
    it in the standard library directories. You can download expat from:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/expat/
    If expat is installed, but in a non-standard directory, then use the
    following options to Makefile.PL:
        EXPATLIBPATH=...  To set the directory in which to find libexpat
        EXPATINCPATH=...  To set the directory in which to find expat.h
    For example:
        perl Makefile.PL EXPATLIBPATH=/home/me/lib EXPATINCPATH=/home/me/include
    Note that if you build against a shareable library in a non-standard location
    you may (on some platforms) also have to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
    variable at run time for perl to find the library.
    Running make test
      Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
    Running make install
      Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install
    cpan> exit
    No history written (no histfile specified).
    Lockfile removed.
    # locate expat
    /usr/local/include/expat.h
    /usr/local/lib/libexpat.a
    /usr/local/lib/libexpat.la
    /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so
    /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.0
    /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.0.4.0
    # cd /home/skidmore/.cpan/build/XML-Parser-2.34
    # perl Makefile.PL EXPATLIBPATH=/usr/local/lib EXPATINCPATH=/usr/local/include
    Checking if your kit is complete...
    Looks good
    Writing Makefile for XML::Parser::Expat
    Writing Makefile for XML::Parser
    # export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/sfw:/usr/local/lib
    # echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    /usr/lib:/usr/sfw:/usr/local/lib
    # perl -MCPAN -e 'shell'
    cpan> install XML::Parser
    Running install for module XML::Parser
    Running make for M/MS/MSERGEANT/XML-Parser-2.34.tar.gz
      CPAN.pm: Going to build M/MS/MSERGEANT/XML-Parser-2.34.tar.gz
[...]

    • Errors installing XML::Parser from CPAN on Solaris 9
      ... I can't seem to get it to install. ... I have expat installed on this machine (I used ... *** Error code 1 ... make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `subdirs' ...
      (comp.lang.perl.modules)
    • Re: XML::Parser::Expat install problem
      ... >> However when I try to use this in a Perl Script it fails with this ... > install expat. ... > *not* be installed within perl. ...
      (comp.lang.perl.modules)
    • Problems installing XML::PArser on Solaris 9 (due to missing Expat.o?)
      ... I can't seem to get it to install. ... I have expat installed on this machine (I used ... *** Error code 1 ... make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `subdirs' ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: Kshowmail in SuSE 10.1
      ... This comes with a version of expat prior to the one now shipping with SuSE ... So you can install an older version of expat from an rpm using the ... Delete the semi-colon!! ... Now as a regular user in the kshowmail-3.1.0 top level directory you ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: attempt to build 64 bit on Solaris fails
      ... > libraries needed to link with a 64-bit Tk. ... We were running a 32-bit version of Perl ... > Each section below is a summary of the commands used to install it. ...
      (comp.lang.perl.tk)