In what order does a program run..??

From: Richard C 1 (Richard.C.1_at_bwc.state.oh.us)
Date: 02/04/04

Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:52:19 -0500
To: <beginners@perl.org>

I'm new to PERL and am trying to learn by reading some PERL programs.

My question is this - does PERL execute sequentially and "skip around"
embedded subroutines or
Does it execute them inline?

For example, if the program has the following set of code lines

Line1
Line2
Line3
Sub1
Subcode1
Subcode2
Endsub1
Line4
Line5
Line6 calls sub1
Line7

Does the execution sequence go like this:

Line1, line2, line3 line 4 line5, line6, sub1, subcode1, subcode2,
endsub1 line7

Or does it go like this:

Line1, Line2, Line3, Sub1, Subcode1, Subcode2, Endsub1, Line4, Line5,
Line6, Sub1, Subcode1, Subcode2, Endsub1, Line7

Thanks.

Portions of this message may be confidential under an exemption to Ohio's public records law or under a legal privilege. If you have received this message in error or due to an unauthorized transmission or interception, please delete all copies from your system without disclosing, copying, or transmitting this message.

Relevant Pages

  • FAQ 3.21 How can I compile my Perl program into byte code or C?
    ... This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc ... from the documentation provided with Perl. ... way for Perl programs to peek at its innards rather than create ... Asked Questions" or FAQ for short. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
[...]
  • Re: Attempted Simultaneous Access causes "Could not lock file"
    ... storing it in my MSAccess database. ... I just wrote another test perl program and pasted in the massive SELECT ... >> I can have multiple perl programs writing to the database, ... > It probably needs exclusive access to the entire Table if it's modifying ...