Perl, Tk, and RPMS

From: Gary Stainburn (gary.stainburn_at_ringways.co.uk)
Date: 02/06/04

To: beginners@perl.org
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:24:31 +0000

Hi folks.

I run a number of RH7.3 boxes which I keep up to date using Redhat's RPMS.

I've just bought Mastering Perl/Tk and need to install Tk from CPAN.

However, when I try to install Tk it says that I need to have at least Perl
v5.7, but the latest RH RPMS are 5.6.1. Is it possible to install Tk on top
of this version of Perl?

If not, how's the best way to update Perl while causing the minimal effect on
my machines (I know previously, I've had problems with modules no longer
working and future RPM updates causing problems).

--
Gary Stainburn

  • Re: installing perl modules on F10
    ... So whats the recommended way of installing perl modules in Fedora 10? ... I use cpan2rpm, you install cpan2rpm by ... cpanspec is what the Fedora Perl team use to build RPMs from CPAN ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Installing binaries
    ... So in the case of perl ... I usually just download RPMs into my home directory, install them from ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problem printing double quotes in XML using XML::DOM
    ... setup (using Strawberry Perl 5.18.1 on Windows 7) but it failed. ... Here is the output from console (command prompt) ... If you install via RPMs, make sure you also install the -devel ... RPMs, as this is where the headers are. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: attempt to build 64 bit on Solaris fails
    ... > libraries needed to link with a 64-bit Tk. ... We were running a 32-bit version of Perl ... > Each section below is a summary of the commands used to install it. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.tk)