Upgrading from Perl 5.6 to Perl 5.8

From: Paul Ohashi (Paul.Ohashi_at_Quest.com)
Date: 02/24/05

    Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:33:21 -0800
    To: <beginners@perl.org>

    Hi all,

    I've upgraded to Perl 5.8 from 5.6 and I'm getting output I don't understand when I try to install the DBI module.

    I'm on Solaris 9 (Sparc) and I had Perl 5.0 and 5.6 installed as packages and I removed them with pkgrm. I then installed Perl 5.8 from ActiveState using ActivePerl-5.8.6.811-sun4-solaris.tar.gz.

    Now I'm trying to install the DBI module and when I execute 'perl Makefile.PL' the output returned says:

            I see you're using perl 5.008006 on sun4-solaris, okay.

    There's nothing in my environment that says perl 5.0. My question is two fold: Where is this Makefile.PL getting the Perl version from and how do I fix this?

    Thanks in advance,
    Paul

    • Re: attempt to build 64 bit on Solaris fails
      ... > libraries needed to link with a 64-bit Tk. ... We were running a 32-bit version of Perl ... > Each section below is a summary of the commands used to install it. ...
      (comp.lang.perl.tk)
    • Re: attempt to build 64 bit on Solaris fails
      ... libraries needed to link with a 64-bit Tk. ... We were running a 32-bit version of Perl ... Each section below is a summary of the commands used to install it. ...
      (comp.lang.perl.tk)
    • Perl on Linux and SQL Server 2000 on Windows
      ... There was a time when I did a lot of searching on ways to use Perl ... sitting on Linux to connect SQL Server 2000 sitting on Windows. ... cpan> install DBI ... Install FreeTDS ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • RE: Please Help !!! Unable to install DBD-Oracle ( I am using perl 5.6 on solaris 8)
      ... Ron, I could be way off here, but the OP mayalready have Perl ... think the original issue was that he tried to use *PPM* to install ... I don't have any Solaris ... you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro ...
      (perl.dbi.users)
    • Re: Installing DBD::File via CPAN
      ... Do you use 'UNINST=1' in the build options for CPAN? ... >> Did you build Perl from source, or install via a RPM or binary distro? ... >>> sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us ...
      (perl.dbi.users)