Re: Migration of Perl from older version - need help

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Jeff Pang wrote:

> We have lots of linux OS which version is RedHad 9,kernel 2.4.x.There
> are many perl scripts and programs running on them.If I update the
> kernel from 2.4.x to 2.6.x,would it affect the current perl
> programs?Thanks.

It shouldn't be a problem.

Unless you have Perl scripts that directly poke at the Linux kernel, I'd
expect nearly all scripts (Perl and otherwise) to be mostly immune to
changes in the kernel.

This is roughly equivalent to the way that you almost never have to
reinstall all your software every time you run Windows Update on your PC
or Software Update on your Mac or up2date or whatever on Red Hat Linux.
Modern systems have long been designed in layers so that internal
changes to one layer (e.g. kernel updates) shouldn't matter to software
at other layers (e.g. Perl or Perl scripts) that depend on services from
those underlying layers. (This is also like how OSI and TCP/IP work --
changes at one layer such as the transport [think kernel] aren't visible
and don't matter to services at a higher layer such as the application
[think Perl].)

So, in general, don't worry about it too much. Test to be sure, but you
are very likely to find that things just continue to work.

--
Chris Devers

pÝU·¡qÃRá²