Re: Migration of Perl from older version - need help

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Jeff Pang wrote:

> We have lots of linux OS which version is RedHad 9,kernel 2.4.x.There
> are many perl scripts and programs running on them.If I update the
> kernel from 2.4.x to 2.6.x,would it affect the current perl
> programs?Thanks.

It shouldn't be a problem.

Unless you have Perl scripts that directly poke at the Linux kernel, I'd
expect nearly all scripts (Perl and otherwise) to be mostly immune to
changes in the kernel.

This is roughly equivalent to the way that you almost never have to
reinstall all your software every time you run Windows Update on your PC
or Software Update on your Mac or up2date or whatever on Red Hat Linux.
Modern systems have long been designed in layers so that internal
changes to one layer (e.g. kernel updates) shouldn't matter to software
at other layers (e.g. Perl or Perl scripts) that depend on services from
those underlying layers. (This is also like how OSI and TCP/IP work --
changes at one layer such as the transport [think kernel] aren't visible
and don't matter to services at a higher layer such as the application
[think Perl].)

So, in general, don't worry about it too much. Test to be sure, but you
are very likely to find that things just continue to work.

--
Chris Devers

pÝU·¡qÃRá²

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Problem passing arguments in WindowsXP
    ... The problem is that perl scripts don't receive argurments if I type ... I read another message suggesting using ftype to see how perl is run ... it displays the current open command string for that file type. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: dbmopen compatibility from perl 5.6 to 5.8
    ... solution but your original post sounded very ungrateful towards the Perl ... > password database files implemented as persistent hashes in perl ... > every line of code that used dbmopen in pre-existing perl scripts, ... open model and refactor the legacy code into an updated open cross ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • No Starch Press releases "Wicked Cool Perl Scripts"
    ... Popular Wicked Cool Book Series Tackles Perl Scripts: ... New book takes Perl programming to the extreme ... Useful Perl Scripts That Solve Difficult Problems" (No Starch Press, ...
    (comp.os.linux.announce)
  • Re: Migration of Perl from older version - need help
    ... Subject: Re: Migration of Perl from older version - need help ... Unless you have Perl scripts that directly poke at the Linux kernel, ... Modern systems have long been designed in layers so that internal ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Problem with one perl script executing another, execution started by Apache httpd
    ... support/drivers for accessing RDBMS - something that will change this ... Perl scripts invoking Perl scripts can ... exports a function that does all the real work; ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)