Re: modifying @INC permanently

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 01:59:46PM -0700, Lawrence Statton wrote:
Is there a way to modify @INC for the perl installation as a whole?

Yes. Recompile Perl setting the appropriate compile-time flags. More
importantly, though: Why? It is just easier to install your modules
in the standardly defined place for site-specific modules.

Why: I find that often remote servers (such as webhosting account
servers) that are not under one's sole control lack modules the
programmer wants, and cannot have them added in the standard path for
@INC. This can cause problems when someone wants to use something
written by someone else, or write something that makes use of a given
module.

That's probably why. It's certainly the reason that comes to mind for
me.

  • Re: [LONG] Re: Why code completion and early error checking are needed
    ... >> the programmer who wants such features. ... > libraries to find the type declaration. ... If you type std::vector that means the one from the Standard. ... > of the language to have certain naming and declaration standards ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: Rounding errors
    ... programmer or compiler would have to pass that as a parameter. ... Perhaps I don't want ALL arithmetic standard because it's too slow. ... to plus or minus an ounce. ... batch is made, all you can do is throw it out if it's underfilled. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: RfD: IEEE-FP
    ... during compilation, and later change it back, then the affected range ... In my experience it's programmer A who has the bad habit of not ... "User Interrupts" can happen in standard programs, ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: COBOL on RosettaCode
    ... Programmer X's standard is 'code for micro-efficiency to the point of ... by COBOL programmers. ... any harm to re-evaluate what we hold to be true, ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Sweeney presentation "The Next Mainstream Language"
    ... both could use the standard operators and denotations without having to type special casts and operator symbols everywhere. ... possibly helped by programmer annotations or checks. ... and/or compiler-checked stack allocation. ... Reference counting with amortized garbage reaping ...
    (comp.lang.functional)