Re: LAMP that is perl

Beginner wrote:

I have been looking at CRM (customer relations management) packages
and the term LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP) keeps appearing.

The "P" in LAMP could stand for php, Perl, or Python. Sometimes you see
LAMPPP to describe the full development stack.

I am not talk just about the applications (EG: SugarCRM)
but also books, everything is PHP based.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking if we know of any
Perl-based CRM applications? (I dunno). Or are you asking about
LAMPerl in general?

Perl doesn't know anything about LAMP. It interacts with those other
components just like it always has (long before that acronym was
invented). There's nothing special you need to do in Perl just because
you use that acronym to describe it's environment. The MySQL calls are
all the same, etc. There are lots of Perl LAMP books, but they don't
have "LAMP" in the title (they're just Perl books). Write good
cross-platform code (so the "L" doesn't even matter) and make it
mod-perl capable (which is usually accomplished by nothing more than
ordinary good programming practices, especially regarding scoping) and
you're writing "LAMP Perl" (whatever that is).

If you want a "certified" LAMPPP stack, check out
http://www.spikesource.com

--
David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)

  • Re: old vs new apache
    ... David Axmark and Monty Widenius of the MySQL team ... visited us in Sebastopol and they dropped a new term in our laps: LAMP. ... used in conjunction with Linux, Apache, and either Perl, Python, or PHP. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Apache mod perl
    ... How do I get apache to talk to the new perl I installed? ... LAMP has nothing really to do with Perl. ... 'Custom' install of perl suggests that you have gone off the reservation ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Apache mod perl
    ... Ubuntu 10.04 server ... Custom install of perl ... How do I get apache to talk to the new perl I installed? ... LAMP has nothing really to do with Perl. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: What are the differences between Perl and PHP when handling with Web pages
    ... What are the differences between Perl and PHP? ... anyway for the sake of good programming practice. ... I end up using PHP more for web development than PHP. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Can a Perl Programmer Pick up PHP quickly?
    ... PHP is not easier compared to Perl. ... a language with fewer features is going to be easier to ... You can't call documentation guessed after the source not good ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)