Re: book on perl

""alex" == "alex jamestin+usenet@gmail com" <alex.jamestin@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

"alex> While the books are great - I saw this great idea over at the Python
"alex> community. Someone came up with a list of ten small programs in
"alex> python, each introducing a core part of the language. This was added
"alex> to the wiki over at - http://wiki.python.org/moin/SimplePrograms . It
"alex> now contains programs in incresing no. of lines of code.

"alex> That's a great way to quickly get up to speed on the feel and ways of
"alex> a language. Please do take a look and something like this for Perl
"alex> would be brilliant! :)
"alex> Since, I'm still getting to know the ropes, i thought i'd drop in this
"alex> request.

Why stop at 10? I have 250 programs (more or less) at

http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/columns.html

and 2 more every month. Plus, (eventually) all of my short talks are online
at ourmedia.org. Please take advantage of my existing free resources before
asking me to create more. :)

<merlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

  • Re: why python is slower than java?
    ... > that the point Alex is making is that Python's performance for this ... > the Python program is copying the literal bytes. ... > kent% time java Copy ... sys 0m0.120s ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Unexpected Python Behavior
    ... Feel also free to add "IMO" at every phrase. ... This doesn't sound like the Alex I know (and I'm talking about ... *essence* of python) were not commented. ... I was suprised that no one noted that if we want statics, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Am I the only one who would love these extentions? - Python 3.0 proposals (long)
    ... | well-coded existing Python programs, for example by removing the 'else' ... | complications that have crept in the language and built-ins over the ... I don't think that it's a good idea to fork Python. ... Thank you for the answer Alex. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • "Frozen" modules w/ static semantics[was Re: Zope 3.0, and why I wont use it]
    ... Alex> declaration gets in, it will become the mandated approach in ... Python has a strong culture of dynamic ... Imports would need to only address other frozen modules ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Unexpected Python Behavior
    ... >> Who are you to question what Him, the Great Alex, says about it? ... a very personal problem with me (and ... ... I saw just one message saying what I (as a newbie to python) ... simply, uncontestably, stinking, ugly hack (also IMO adding ...
    (comp.lang.python)