cpan or perl -MCPAN ?

Hi

I'm using Linux for some perl play.

Which method is considered better - using cpan as a command at the
command line or using 'perl -MCPAN -e ..'' ?

Does using CPAN by either method above ensure the latest version of
any given module or does it give the latest module for the particular
version of Perl?.

I'm running 5.8 and am aware 5.10 is out there - I would hope modules
would fall gracefully back to 5.8.8 but am aware this might not happen
for some modules.

Regards

L.

  • trying to install a cpan module
    ... command prompts, etc, so it's probably no surpise that I'm having some ... Then I gathered some courage and went for a cpan install. ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Can Ruby stay ahead ?
    ... The 'cpan' command comes with Perl. ... installation. ... or inside the gem itself; would need to extract and render it. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: CPAN install Problem
    ... SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9.0, kernel 2.6, ... perl v5.8.3, CPAN v1.8801. ... Die meiste Pakete gehen ok, ... Can't locate Module/Build/Compat.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ...
    (de.comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Can Ruby stay ahead ?
    ... the star ratings can help you whittle down the options to the best. ... The 'cpan' command comes with Perl. ... installation. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: problems building perl modules, path question
    ... cpan> o conf commit ... that's core perl stuff. ... command that I applied to the core was chmod -R 644 as I said ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)