warnings will produce useful warnings

please see
perldoc -f use

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Alex Goor <a_goor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

thank you so much for your fast answer.

what do you mean by perldoc perldsc? how do i get that?

what is "use strict" and "use warnings"

sorry to bother you and thanks again!

----- Original Message ----
From: "Li, Jialin" <jialinli1981@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Alex Goor <a_goor@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 12:43:47 PM
Subject: Re: simple question

you should use hash, see more detail
perldoc perldsc

use strict;
use warnings;
my %hash_symbol;

while (my $message = <>) {
++$hash_symbol( substr($message,17,6) );

my @sybolset = keys %hash_symbol;

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Alex Goor <a_goor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

i have a data set of stock orders and i want to count the number of
unique stock symbols in the set.

i have turned the data set into an array and based on the message spec,
i can identify the stock symbols. but i don't know how to make sure i'm
only counting unique ones.

i had thought to do an if statement along the lines of

$symbolset = "@symbolset";
if $symbolset !~ /substr($message,17,6)/ #if the array doesn't contain
the new symbol
#then add it to the array
push (@symbolset, "substr($message,17,6)

substr($message,17,6) is the symbol info within each line of the array
of the data set.

the problem is that that doesn't work!

does anyone have any ideas how to do this?

For additional commands, e-mail: beginners-help@xxxxxxxx

Relevant Pages

  • Re: debugger exiting
    ... strict and warnings pragmas. ... I think portraying Perl as a command-line tool limits it to fewer platforms than ... work only as a Unix shell command line. ...
  • Re: reading command line arguments
    ... The code already has parts the read command line arguments, ... If you use strict, as you should, then you'll need to declare $t and $e ... use warnings; ...
  • Re: FetchURL with GIF files
    ... > be able to automate the image download process. ... use strict; ... use warnings; ... (This command should be entered as a single line). ...
  • Re: Help with Net::IP::Match and mod_perl
    ... > I'm having trouble getting this to work ... > use strict; ... > use warnings; ... > running this from command line works fine, ...
  • Re: shift vs @_
    ... use strict; ... use warnings; ... $ cat ... push @stream, $num; ...