Re: how to reinvent "tar xvfz" with perl?

Siegfried Heintze (Aditi) wrote:

I need to automate some stuff and decided to use perl.

I have cygwin perl and activestate perl.

Below is my attempt. It does not work because I don't have perlIO::gzip installed.

When I tried

/bin/Perl -MCPAN -e 'install PerlIO::gzip'

The tests fail and it won't install.

When I try activestate perl's ppm.bat I don't see an any modules when I search for gzip (except for one called CGI-WebGzip which did not look like what I wanted).

Can someone help me reinvent "tar xvfz"?

Run ppm at the command prompt and do

rep tcool http://ppm.tcool.org/server/ppmserver.cgi?urn:PPMServer

and

rep up tcool

That will give you a new repository with many useful modules. And it has
PerlIO::gzip.

HTH,

Rob

  • Re: XS compiler for Perl
    ... > I am running Windows XP Pro and using Activestate Perl 5.8. ... >> ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/Text-CVS_XS.ppd ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Perl analysing a Microsoft .msg file
    ... Outlook mailbox and creating a mail message. ... But rather than connect to a mailbox, I just start with a .msg file. ... In ActiveState Perl, I have stumbled on a Win32::OLE - Type Library Browser ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: ActivePerl repositories
    ... > ActiveState Perl. ... There are a couple of 3rd party repositories for PPM packages that you ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: ActiveState: Cant spawn "cmd.exe"?
    ... > first to MinGW and then to ActiveState Perl, ... but there *is* a problem with that line on ActiveState perl? ... 'format_exec_args' returns the same string with ActiveState perl as ... When testing with ActiveState perl what shell are you running in? ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: cywin versus activestate on xp
    ... I learned what I know of Perl by using it mostly on win32 ... If you already have Activestate Perl installed, ... Contrariwise, if you're used to *nix systems or cygwin, I can't think ... of any reason not to use Perl under cygwin. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)