RE: Error: Can't load '/cygdrive/c/Oracle/Ora81/bin/Oracle' for module DBD::Oracle...

From: Andy Hassall (andy_at_andyh.co.uk)
Date: 11/01/04

To: "'Vassilev, Lubomir G.'" <lyubomir@ou.edu>, <dbi-users@perl.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:18:54 -0000

 OK, the test failures in that output file you posted are probably because
you haven't set ORACLE_USERID and/or issues with your Oracle name resolution
configuration, but it's built and at least appears to load under your
configuration. Set the ORACLE_USERID environment variable to a valid Oracle
login so that the tests can run... it's important to run the tests to
validate that the module has built correctly, and it requires access to an
Oracle database to do so.

 [ Going off-topic for dbi-users - for further information I'd recommend the
comp.lang.perl.misc newsgroup on Usenet - accessible through
groups.google.com if you haven't got access to a proper NNTP server. ]

 The main thing to remember here is DON'T unpack distributions into the Perl
library directories yourself. It's "make install"'s responsibility to copy
the files into the right places - and _only_ when it's all built correctly.

 Unpack it somewhere entirely different - e.g. your home directory. I tend
to make a 'src' directory for compiling in my home directory. For example,
the following changes to your home directory, creates a directory, and then
you can start downloading source and compiling from there:

        cd
        mkdir src
        cd src

 You've now messed up your Perl library directories somewhat, having
unpacked the source code into the library directories. If you haven't
customised your Cygwin installation too much, I'd be strongly inclined to
wipe it out and reinstall Cygwin, then install the modules the proper way -
see below.

 You should probably at least delete:

/cygdrive/c/cygwin/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/cygwin-thread-multi-64int/DBD/D
BD-Oracle-1.16

 You should get away with this so long as you haven't tried to install any
other modules this way.

 Far more convenient is using the CPAN module: type 'cpan' at your shell to
get an interactive interface to this. Installing a new module becomes as
simple as "install modulename". The module takes care of setting up
temporary directories to build in, and will download the latest version,
unpack, compile, download and build any dependencies (this is particularly
useful!), test and, if all the previous steps succeed (or you specify
'force' if you are _sure_ you can accept any test failures) install the
library into the Perl library directories.

 Once again: you should (almost) never modify anything in the Perl library
directories yourself - the module's "make install" handles that.

 More information at these URLs:

        http://search.cpan.org/~andk/CPAN-1.76/lib/CPAN.pm

        http://www.cpan.org/modules/INSTALL.html
        (Cygwin is more Unix than Windows so the Unix instructions apply -
I've only skimmed this page, but it seems basically reasonable)

--
Andy Hassall <andy@andyh.co.uk> / Space: disk usage analysis tool
<http://www.andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space>

DBD. Then
> I went to that directory and build and tested. Here is the result:

Relevant Pages

  • SUMMARY: Compiling X11R6.8.2 or 6.8.1 or 6.8.0 - more info - it now compiles!
    ... If you're running on Solaris 10, ... Subject: SUMMARY: Compiling X11R6.8.2 or 6.8.1 or 6.8.0 ... working on this install - there must not be much call for X11R6.8.? ... but DID manage to get Xvfb compiled and installed from within the X ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Bands on an EEE PC
    ... I have tried the compiled linux install ... This is almost certainly an issue about libraries. ... the simplest in terms of library deps) and try compiling it. ...
    (rec.games.roguelike.angband)
  • Re: r235510: recent buildworld fail
    ... # CFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C code. ... # or supported for compiling the world or the kernel - please revert any ... # The list of languages and encodings to build and install ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: directShow samples dont build and/or regsvr32
    ... install is a brand new machine w/ VS2005 installed. ... If compiling with the solutions you *will* need the SDK include and the ... Iain Downs (DirectShow MVP) ...
  • Re: sp1a install
    ... sjewins wrote: ... You need to have enough space to unpack AND install the service ... However - I suggest you download and install Service Pack 2. ...