The meaning of module overriding syntax mod:goal in different Prologs

brianh_at_metamilk.com
Date: 02/26/05

    Date: 26 Feb 2005 10:10:39 -0800

    Hi - I am wondering if there is any existing Prolog implementation
    similar to SWI Prolog, which keeps track of a conversion module which
    is used to determine how terms are converted into predicates for
    call/1, assert/1 etc so that there is no need for meta predicate
    argument declarations (and the associated dependency problems when
    recompiling individual modules), but where the syntax mod:goal means
    "look-up goal in module mod but keep the current conversion module" ie
    so you could always qualify every call to a different module using the
    :/2 syntax to avoid having to import predicates into a module (which
    creates a rather unworkable flat namespace amongst all the modules you
    might ever need to import)

    Also I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had any experience with
    hierarchical modules or file-free implementations (eg like Smalltalk,
    where you only need to think about the objects/classes etc and the
    system takes care of storing them somewhere, or Java, where the
    physical path to the file for a class is determined by where the class
    is in its hierarchy)