Re: What is Togl???

From: Mike C. Fletcher (mcfletch_at_rogers.com)
Date: 11/20/03

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:45:06 -0500
To: Tobias Pfeiffer <BoteDesSchattens@web.de>

Tobias Pfeiffer wrote:

>Hi!
>
>On my Debian Linux System, I installed the python-opengl package and
>all that had a direct dependency. Then I wanted to look at the samples
>that are shipped with that package (at /usr/share/doc/python-
>opengl/Demo/). But every script I run in one of the subfolders gives
>me:
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "text.py", line 4, in ?
> from OpenGL.Tk import *
> File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/OpenGL/Tk/__init__.py", line
>39, in ?
> _default_root.tk.call('package', 'require', 'Togl')
>_tkinter.TclError: can't find package Togl
>
>So what is Togl???

Togl is the Tkinter widget for OpenGL display. Togl refuses to compile
with the version of Tk distributed with Python 2.3 and above (it should
compile for 2.2, though I haven't checked that in a while), and so it's
being dropped from PyOpenGL. I've got rewriting the Tk-based samples to
use GLUT and/or PyGame on my todo list, btw.

You can rebuild PyOpenGL 2.0.1 with Togl support on Unix, but unless you
really need to run old scripts which used it, it's probably not worth
the effort (of setting the flag to true).

In theory, if you can compile (or find compiled) Togl for Tk 8.4 (and
then install it in the Python Tk instance), it should run fine. I,
however, have burned far too much PyOpenGL development time on it (given
that Tk is hardly the cutting edge in GUIs these days), so I'm not
likely to work on it any more.

Enjoy yourself,
Mike

_______________________________________
  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OpenGL in TK
    ... Togl was never included with Python, it used to be included with PyOpenGL, but it was always a royal PITA to build as it had to be built against the dev versions of Tcl and Tk that matched the Python ones. ... There's a hacky script in PyOpenGL 3.x's "src/toglinstall" directory that tries to download the package from there and install it for you, but I'd expect it to be rather fragile and broken. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Python GUI + OpenGL
    ... Currently I'm using Python 2.4 with wx and PyOpenGLContext, but there are no windows binaries for Python 2.5 for quite some time now. ... PyOpenGL 3.x works on Python 2.5, there are no binaries because the system no longer requires binary versions. ... Install the setuptools package, then run easy_install PyOpenGL and the egg file should be downloaded and installed to your machine. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Whats so funny? WAS Re: rotor replacement
    ... That I have to download and perhaps install them to use ... > * I have to download and build the MySQLdb package to talk to MySQL ... > servers from Python code ... I can write something using a core module instead of an external ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • RE: Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?
    ... > install fully useable Python on their Windows machines. ... > Quicksomething for Windows, or RealPlayer, ... The Windows application that I develop and distribute relies on Python ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: bytecode non-backcompatibility
    ... Unstable bytecodes makes updating to a newer version of Python very ... >>>tedious and risk breaking old scripts, ... > setup.py install" to install the library into site-package. ... each port has a list of all the other ports it depends ...
    (comp.lang.python)