Re: Ques From CS Grad Student

From: Peter Hansen (peter_at_engcorp.com)
Date: 11/27/03

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:15:15 -0500

suenacita1 wrote:

> Hi. I'm a masters student at the George Washington University
> currently taking an Open Source Software Development course. One of
> our assignments was to do a presentation on an open source project
> and i chose Python. I have most of my presentation done but had a
> couple questions where I want the help of the Python community to
> help me answer.
>
> 1. How many members are involved directly, and how many peripherally?
> 2. What do you use to drive releases?
> 3. How often does the project release major and minor revisions?
> 4. What tools do they use to manage the source?
> 5. How does the Python project resolve conflicts between members?

I'm sorry to say it, but the fact that you haven't got an answer to
question 3, at least, hints strongly that you've made very little effort
at all to research this on your own!

Go to www.python.org and spend a few minutes in surfing and thought
and you'll at least answer that one question on your own.

I suspect several of the other questions would be almost as easily
answered, perhaps with reference to the list archives.

And some of the questions are next to useless, and appear to be
repeated verbatim from some generic questionnaire that everyone
in the course is expected to use. "Drive releases"? What is that
supposed to mean? The text editor used? The revision control
system? The process? What type of car they used to get to the
sprints? :-)

-Peter

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Open source alternative for MsAccess?
    ... >Open Sourece advocates are trying to convince us to convert to Open Source ... >let's take Python. ... >don't have a language with a GUI designer, and I have to hard code all my GUI, ... >someone who is a microsoft evangelist, and averything is written in Excel VBA ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Open source alternative for MsAccess?
    ... Open Sourece advocates keep trying to convince us to convert to Open Source ... Let's take Python. ... means, I already don't have a language with a GUI designer, and I have to hard ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Draft Pycon Keynote (a simulation)
    ... in purer and purer forms of Python, ... [pause to show excerpt of London Knowledge Lab ... the goal is open source, lots and lots of it, so you can ... In this way, our ability to cut and paste video, as easily ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: [IronPython] Jim Hugunins web log.
    ... > tied so much in Unix as Perl is. ... > As a result of that philosophy, people are often tempted to port Python ... way of thinking it's essentially an open source phenomenon. ... Yes I know there has been an open source Smalltalk for years, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Call for Grant Proposals
    ... open source vs. closed source of the problem, ... Python, Python-related technology, and educational resources." ... Python Software Foundation is seeking grant proposals for projects ... Is not delivering a single deliverable ...
    (comp.lang.python)