Re: root password in a .py script

From: Paul Rubin (//phr.cx_at_NOSPAM.invalid)
Date: 03/13/04

Date: 12 Mar 2004 20:39:25 -0800

Ben Finney <bignose-hates-spam@and-benfinney-does-too.id.au> writes:
> No, that makes the increasingly incorrect assumption that the passwords
> are stored and accessed via those files. Many systems use NIS or LDAP
> or other protocol-based account table management methods, and the
> 'passwd' command is often set up to use that method. Affecting /etc/*
> files in such a case would have no effect on the root password.

The OP isn't asking about how to do it on "many systems", he's asking
how to do it on a specific system (Mac OS X). If he can find a way that
works on that system, he doesn't have to worry about other systems.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hardening NIS+
    ... > What are other Sun users out there doing? ... > you just ignore passwords from LDAP and use the PAM modules? ... I've done both LDAP and NIS+ with AFS and Kerberos. ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: Migrating user accounts
    ... The systems in question are an old Cobalt (running Red ... > copy user accounts and passwords from the Cobalt to the SLES 9 machine. ... > Installing NIS and/or LDAP are simply not options because the Cobalt will ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: ssha passwords
    ... we are using LDAP authentication exclusively. ... DIT whe have all kinds of hased passwords including crypt, ssh, ssha. ... without losing access to the server. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: LDAP integration
    ... How different are the most common directories, ... possibility of storing the passwords in a different format. ... (LDAP Realm) ... need to store passwords in your application store. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: DoveCot vs Cyrus-Imapd Performance
    ... you can add attributes that are defined in that class, and use LDAP as ... As for passwords, old style Windows passwords needed to support older ... Windows implementations are not compatible with more or less anything. ... Windows side Kerberos server to authenticated against Active Directory ...
    (Fedora)