Re : Upgrade woes: Numeric, gnuplot, and Python 2.4

From: Cedric (cedricl_at_videotron.ca)
Date: 12/31/04

Date: 31 Dec 2004 13:20:56 -0800

This is a 3 weeks old problem, but having found a solution (and having
looked for one here, finding only this message), I'm replying now.

From: Jive (someone@microsoft.com)
Subject: Upgrade woes: Numeric, gnuplot, and Python 2.4
Date: 2004-12-11 18:45:10 PST
> Here's my sitch:
>
> I use gnuplot.py at work, platform Win32.
> I want to upgrade to Python 2.4.
> Gnuplot.py uses extension module Numeric.
> Numeric is now "unsupported." The documentation
> says "If you are new to Numerical Python, please
> use Numarray.". It's not that easy, dangit.
> The download page for numpy does not contain a
> 2.4 version of Numeric, and I suspect they do
> not intend to release one, because there IS a 2.4
> version of Numarray.

Numarray was designed to be mostly backward compatible with Numeric. I
just replaced all of the

import Numeric

by

import numarray as Numeric

and it worked fine. Though I also had the same problem that I had with
Python 2.3 and Gnuplot, namely having to correct gnuplot_command in
gp_win32.py. On a related note, maybe I don't understand pipes, but
why doesn't popen() return an error when it doesn't find the file, and
it's open for reading?

CÚdric

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Python evolution: Unease
    ... > Terry> Numarray has a record array type. ... > Carlos> Although I see your point, in the long term it will be required. ... necessary stuff (I'm not even half done in learning Python) ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Microbenchmark: Summing over array of doubles
    ... been doing some work on adding SIMD support to numarray, ... force gcc to leave the actual calculation in place and give you accurate ... tests using Psyco to remove much of the Python overhead. ... JIT compiler such as Kaffe, and compiling it natively using gcj (the ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Python on Altix (re-cap)
    ... Todd Miller wrote: ... > I'm trying to set up Python on a 64-bit Linux super computer which looks ... This message was related to a bug in the numarray setup.py. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • gnuplot stdout & python question
    ... Anyone had any success getting stdout from gnuplot on an ms windows system ... I'm trying to read mouse coordinates using python. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: arrays
    ... 2.I am not using Numarray because i dont expect to do many operations ... on the matrices in Python itself. ... > Rahul> Hi. ... you can use lists of lists for example. ...
    (comp.lang.python)