Re: [OT] Good C++ book for a Python programmer

From: Craig Ringer (craig_at_postnewspapers.com.au)
Date: 01/20/05

To: beliavsky@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:35:42 +0800

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 09:04 -0800, beliavsky@aol.com wrote:
> Rick Muller wrote:
> >I was wondering whether anyone could recommend a good C++ book, with
> >"good" being defined from the perspective of a Python programmer.
>
> The STL and the template feature of C++ gives the programmer some of
> the functionality of Python (using templates instead of duck typing,
> vectors instead of lists etc.),

I'm particularly fond of internally refcounted objects (as used
extensively in Qt) and of guarded pointers, myself. The use of these two
things means one can avoid the "sometimes works, sometimes doesn't" fun
of referencing deleted memory by accident.

--
Craig Ringer

Relevant Pages

  • Re: About alternatives to Matlab
    ... Python and functional languages, but apropos of Ocaml, not these ... it has useful advanced functionality built in (linear ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Web development with Python 3.1
    ... Python. ... Django's templating language, actually ... You don't use templates to write your *applicative* code. ... plays a big part when it comes to reusability. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Moving from PHP to Python. Is it Possible
    ... will have to break yourself of those sorts of habits -- Python offers ... In my usage GLOBALS are too much useful to discard it. ... modules as needed, grow your string for output, ... In php world our fine solution was using phtml mixed files for templates. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Is there a "Large Scale Python Software Design" ?
    ... I think that Python 2.3 capabilities already ... If you are aiming at a given fixed amount of functionality, ... the language level of the chosen implementation language, ... The design problem and the system integration may ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Why I love Python: More rambling...
    ... numerical work. ... The python runs faster! ... optimized, and tackles head-on the problem I was avoiding with the templates, ...
    (comp.lang.python)