Re: Can a simple a==b 'hang' in and endless loop?

Claudio Grondi wrote:
Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:25:38 +0100, Claudio Grondi
<claudio.grondi@xxxxxxxxxx> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

Any hints towards enlightenment what this from the geometry known term 'ellipsis' mean in Python? Googling shows, that I am not the first who

	Geometry: singular ellipse, plural ellipses -- sort of a flattened
circle
	Punctuation: singular ellipsis -- a mark (typically three ...,
typographically a single character "…") used to represent omitted text.
For example, trimming the middle of a quote, such as:
	"Any hints towards ... term 'ellipsis' mean in Python?"

	In the case of python, you would have to examine slice notation and
some history...

	Unless things have changed, nothing in the core Python language
/uses/ the ellipsis in slicing. It was added, apparently, for use in
numerical extension modules where the ellipsis represent
missing/unspecified array indices in an extended slice.

As shown just above in this thread the code:
 >>> a = [1]
 >>> a.append(a)
 >>> a
[1, [...]]
uses it, so it seems, that things have changed.

Nope, that's just a linguistic snafu on my part. In English the term "ellipsis" describes "..." and means "Omission from a text of one or more words that are obviously understood but that must be supplied to make a construction grammatically correct". So I described the three dots as an ellipsis without reference to its meaning in Python.

I hope this hasn't seriously inconvenienced you. However, it does seem like you are "looking for trouble" here -- i.e. looking to prove that Python is broken, when what's actually broken appears to be *your understanding* of Python.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119

  • Re: the annoying, verbose self
    ... Kay Schluehr wrote: ... Ruby speed will increase, don't worry, as more people will use it. ... This problem vanishes with Python 3.0 which defines an own ellipsis literal: ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Can a simple a==b hang in and endless loop?
    ... There is a single object with this value. ... This object is accessed through the built-in name Ellipsis. ... Not very helpful in understanding what it is, so it still belongs to the dark unknown area of Python to me. ... a: the omission of one or more words that are obviously understood but that must be supplied to make a construction grammatically complete b: a sudden leap from one topic to another ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Can a simple a==b hang in and endless loop?
    ... Punctuation: singular ellipsis -- a mark used to represent omitted text. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: what does an ellipsis do
    ... An ellipsis is a mark to indicate a place in text where an elision was made. ... Latin elidire-to knock]. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.newusers)
  • Re: The Ellipsis
    ... that soft but eerie sound. ... Use ellipsis to indicate slow-downs in thought or conversation: ... aren't these usages to be found in older texts or grammar sites on the net? ... "Ellipsis" is also the name of the punctuation mark that E.G. is ...
    (alt.usage.english)