Re: Can a simple a==b 'hang' in and endless loop?

Claudio Grondi wrote:
Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:25:38 +0100, Claudio Grondi
<claudio.grondi@xxxxxxxxxx> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

Any hints towards enlightenment what this from the geometry known term 'ellipsis' mean in Python? Googling shows, that I am not the first who

	Geometry: singular ellipse, plural ellipses -- sort of a flattened
circle
	Punctuation: singular ellipsis -- a mark (typically three ...,
typographically a single character "…") used to represent omitted text.
For example, trimming the middle of a quote, such as:
	"Any hints towards ... term 'ellipsis' mean in Python?"

	In the case of python, you would have to examine slice notation and
some history...

	Unless things have changed, nothing in the core Python language
/uses/ the ellipsis in slicing. It was added, apparently, for use in
numerical extension modules where the ellipsis represent
missing/unspecified array indices in an extended slice.

As shown just above in this thread the code:
 >>> a = [1]
 >>> a.append(a)
 >>> a
uses it, so it seems, that things have changed.

Nope, that's just a linguistic snafu on my part. In English the term "ellipsis" describes "..." and means "Omission from a text of one or more words that are obviously understood but that must be supplied to make a construction grammatically correct". So I described the three dots as an ellipsis without reference to its meaning in Python.

I hope this hasn't seriously inconvenienced you. However, it does seem like you are "looking for trouble" here -- i.e. looking to prove that Python is broken, when what's actually broken appears to be *your understanding* of Python.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119