Re: Open Relay Test

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:40:51 -0500, Steve Holden wrote:

D wrote:
Hi all .. how could one test to see if an open relay exists on a
specific email server?

I bet spammers would love someone to answer that question for them. You
wouldn't be planning spam, by any chance?

The spammers already know how to look for open relays. Unlike the original
poster, they know how to use Google. *wink*

Besides, not just spammers want to detect open relays. Many people like to
block mail from open relays.

--
Steven.

  • Re: One Last Note
    ... whoever wants to hit me with a cluebat for replying can - ... Spammers almost always abuse open relays, and in abusing open relays, ... "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Open Relay Test
    ... I bet spammers would love someone to answer that question for them. ... You wouldn't be planning spam, by any chance? ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: VOLKER--Re: Kids bypassing firewall via web proxy sites
    ... Some of them even come with software to find out open relays. ... But still I receive spam mails that contain no ... Those are "tests" that spammers run. ... No spammer, mass spammer, not a causal "Hey look at my new dating site ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Spam sent through server using authid=apache or mysql
    ... may bring light to a problem I am having recently with spammers. ... confirmed that there are no open relays. ... user directories for old formmail programs and disabled any that I ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: Hogans Alley???
    ... >>> was going to give them a chance to remove my address before ... If you have no interest in spammers and the appropriate ...
    (rec.arts.comics.strips)