Re: My Python annoyances

On May 3, 9:27 am, Paul Boddie <p...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3 Mai, 15:49, Ben Collver <coll...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I rewrote my code in Python and I found myself running into many of the
same hassles that I run into with other languages: inaccurate and
incomplete documentation, a maze of little platform-specific quirks to
work around in the base classes, and a macho community of users.

I'm sorry to hear about that. If by "macho" you mean people who insist
that things are good enough as they are, and that newcomers should
themselves adapt to whatever they may discover, instead of things
being improved so that they are more intuitive and reliable for
newcomers and experienced developers alike, then I'd certainly be
interested in undermining that culture.

The python web site recommended Dive Into Python, so I learned by
reading that. It has several examples that don't work because the
Python base classes have changed behavior. I should have taken that as
lesson.

Really Dive Into Python should be a sufficient guide, and it was
perhaps the best introduction to the language when it was written. It
is very unfortunate that the language has changed in a number of ways
(and exhibits continued change) whilst effort into documenting what is
already there remains neglected amongst the people making all the
changes.

I tried to write portable Python code. The zlib CRC function returned
different results on architectures between 32 bit and 64 bit
architectures. I filed a bug report. It was closed, without a comment
from the person who closed it. I get the unspoken message: bug reports
are not welcome.

Can you provide the bug identifier? Bug reports are generally welcome,
and despite complaints about patch reviews, I've found people
reviewing things I've submitted.

I installed Cygwin on a Windows machine. I try to quit from an
interactive Python session. It tells me that on my platform, I must
press Control-Z to exit. I press Control-Z and it makes Python a
background process.

Yes, Ctrl-Z exits Python in the standard Windows edition. Since Cygwin
provides a POSIX-like environment, Ctrl-D should be used instead. If
the documentation is wrong, a bug report or patch should be filed
against the software.

I tried to use the XML.minidom. The documentation here is minimal as
well. So I read up on other web sites. It turns out that the interface
has changed quite a bit from the documentation I found on other web
sites. Where are the much loved docstrings? In 2.3 minidom, they are
sparse and cryptic.

I really don't know what to say about the PyXML/xmlcore situation. I
don't use ElementTree and hardly use PyXML or minidom, but something
really should have been done about the maintenance of the established
libraries rather than declaring them as legacy items and pretending
that they don't exist.

Between 2.4 and 2.5, tempfile returns a different type of object. My
code cannot have a single test, it has check for type(obj) == file or
obj.__class__ == tempfile._TemporaryFileWrapper.

Try using isinstance or relying on "deeper" knowledge of how the
object will be used.

I decided to make a tkinter front-end for a Python program. I decided
to go with tkinter because it is included with many Python
installations, so it maximizes the chance for my program to run out of
the box.

The tkinter documentation on the Python site mainly consists of loose
notes and links to other sites. The documentation on other sites is
great, if you already know how to use tkinter. I ran into bugs in
TkAqua which make the grid layout unusable for me. So I will need to
ask potential users to install Xcode, X11, and mac ports, if they want
to run my program.

Take a look at the python.org Wiki for links to other resources on
Tkinter:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter

Or consider other graphical frameworks:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

In short, there is plenty of room for improvement. Admittedly these are
not problems with the language definition. But I downloaded a Python
distribution, and the problems are Python specific.

My opinions, already expressed, include the observation that the core
development community is more interested in extending the language
than in strengthening the standard library (and its documentation). It
should be noted that the proposed standard library reorganisation,
which is a very conservative affair, has actually been postponed until
after the release of Python 3.0a1 according to a message I read
recently. And yet, if you read people's lists about what they "hate"
about Python (amongst actual users of Python), guess which thing
almost always comes up?

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22things+I+hate+about+Python%22

Paul

I agree with Paul and Ben. The Docs need some help. Some are excellent
and others are hosed because of changes to the language. I started
with Tkinter, but quickly got frustrated with the lack of
documentation or screwy out-dated docs. What really annoys me is that
some very good authors state that Tkinter has excellent docs and
multiple published books. I found one book by Grayson that is 7 years
old. So I switched to wxPython.

wxPython has a better user group and better docs. Unfortunately, they
also have quite a few man pages, as do other external modules and man
pages typically make my eyes swim.

The closest thing to real docs by a real person for Python is Lundh's
site: http://effbot.org/librarybook/

Fortunately, since Python is so easy, some of this can be overcome.

Mike

  • Re: Bitching about the documentation...
    ... > a language need complaints about the language? ... To give potential adopters of Python a more even handed view ... but sometimes "constructive criticism" means ... I have found Python's documentation to generally be excellent. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: My Python annoyances
    ... incomplete documentation, a maze of little platform-specific quirks to ... Python base classes have changed behavior. ... perhaps the best introduction to the language when it was written. ... I filed a bug report. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Python is fun (useless social thread) ;-)
    ... programming in Fortran in the 1980s and in C in the 1990s. ... and managed to use a bit of Python in that. ... and we needed a scripting language. ... pre-written overview documentation to get the 'best of both worlds' ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Python style: to check or not to check args and data members
    ... approach, whatever the language. ... The first thing I tried to do when I discovered Python (coming from ... statically typed langages) was to try to forcefit it into static typing. ... As long as you provide a usable documentation, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Industry profiles: Software tools: Exclusive to comp.databases.pick: Why python? (from 2000)
    ... "My first look at Python was an accident, and I didn't much like what I ... language called SNG for manipulating PNG ... Perl, of course, is the 800-pound gorilla of modern scripting languages. ... The design objective of fetchmailconf ...
    (comp.databases.pick)