Finding out what other tasks are running

Is there a cross-platform of determining what other processes (or in Windows
terms, other applications) are running?

Is it possible in a cross-platform way to ask some other application to shut
down, wait a while, and then test to see if it did shut?

Failing that are there separate Windows, Mac and Linux/Unix ways of doing
this?

  • Re: Why no TextMate for Linux?
    ... Even most programmers would be unlikely to find it worth the ... shouldn't be relying on Ruby, because a new version of Ruby might break ... Windows, with some help. ... which is also cross-platform. ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Why does John Dvorak think Vista will help developers?
    ... Everything that makes C++ what it is (the cross-platform, open-standards capabilities and relationship with COM and machine code), is the exact opposite of what .NET gives you. ... The question about making a program that's cross platform and how will the UI work. ... An other example is the excellent XviD MPEG-4 codec, better and faster than Windows Media but open-source and cross-platform. ... As you said, the "serious" engineers work at the console, the UI is just confetti for housewives and children. ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • Re: Client/Server Application
    ... Windows environment, but I don't know where to start. ... to be sent to the server for data file posting and some printing. ... I would never go for file locking ans an IPC ... Cross-platform solutions are IP, and cross- ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: Finding out what other tasks are running
    ... Jeremy C B Nicoll wrote: ... > Is there a cross-platform of determining what other processes (or in Windows ... > terms, other applications) are running? ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Client/Server Application
    ... Windows environment, but I don't know where to start. ... to be sent to the server for data file posting and some printing. ... Cross-platform solutions are IP, and cross- ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)