Documentation - which format

I'm considering using plain text file for documenting certain things (nothing
to do with Python) and I'm looking at different "formatting systems" ...
preferable with a python implementation to render the text at least as HTML -
preferable also other formats like LaTeX.

So far I've found

+ Markdown
+ reST (the web site at sourceforge doesn't seem to have been updated
since 2006)

Are there any other I should look at?

  • Re: Attack a sacred Python Cow
    ... documenting this fact - it actively encourages you to do so. ... saying that Python itself lacks documentation for its own behaviour; ... As far as I'm concerned, and *even if there was no other technical reasons*, I wholefully, happily and definitively agree with this choice - specially in a language like Python. ... "explicit is better than implicit" is not the appropriate dogmatic justification here - but a couple other quotes from the Python's Zen could apply!-) ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: any(), all() and empty iterable
    ... because that describes exactly what the algorithm does. ... but if you're going to go to the trouble of documenting, ... but since Python strives for clarity... ... the Python implementation is a clearer explanation IMHO. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: a Python persons experience with Ruby
    ... Python *does* distinguish between instance/class vars and ... But in ruby no such distinction exists. ... semantic equivalent in Python of your Ruby snippet is a plain attribute. ... Ruby implement this by systematically going thru accessors, and providing a shortcut for 'default' accessors, while Python implements this by using plain attribute access as the default and providing ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Mail reading/processing problem, UTF-8
    ... In the Python distribution of course... ... of tools to read MIME mails of all sorts. ... If you have a plain text subject in the first place, ... Reading subject and the body from a MIME mail on file. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Documenting Python code.
    ... Are there any standarized ways of documenting Python code? ... Since Python is a very powerful language parsing strings, ... If there is no standard way to do this inside the Python community, ...
    (comp.lang.python)