Re: Documentation - which format

Jumping Arne <arnlen@xxxxxxx> writes:

I'm considering using plain text file for documenting certain things
(nothing to do with Python) and I'm looking at different "formatting
systems" ... preferable with a python implementation to render the
text at least as HTML - preferable also other formats like LaTeX.

Your needs are met amply with reStructuredText. It's still under
active development, and in fact the 'python-odtwriter' package (that's
its name in GNU/Linux, anyway) adds a third useful rendering, ODF Text
(the format used by OpenOffice.org Writer).

I find reStructuredText quite powerful; just about any sensible
document structure I've needed can be implemented, and the result is
still quite readable as plain text. It also helps that there is good
support for it in both Emacs and Vim, with the right plugins.

--
\ "I put contact lenses in my dog's eyes. They had little |
`\ pictures of cats on them. Then I took one out and he ran around |

  • Re: New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?
    ... However these features have been discussed for ... Every single Python ... burden of formatting strings has been moved from the print ... formatting strings in the past. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: PEP 378: Format Specifier for Thousands Separator
    ... The myth that % string formatting is deprecated. ... That str.format looks like Java is irrelevant. ... common in Python, and is not original to Java. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: new to python - trouble calling a function from another function
    ... my checkQueue function below, the call to self.goUpis never executed. ... you didn't reduce the code to the smallest possible example), Python wont. ... The formatting here is completely removed, ... have a good reason not to. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: New Python 3.0 string formatting - really necessary?
    ... Python, the % formatting is probably one of the least common ... this change at least was a no cost change. ... all the things to complain about in python 3.0, ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: .format vs. %
    ... % formatting was supposed to be deprecated in Python 3.1. ... So there will be no deprecation, just a gradual shift to PEP 3101 ... ordinary string concatenation), which according to the Zen of Python ...
    (comp.lang.python)