Re: Help with sets

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:31 PM, B. M. Whealton
<bwhealton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

self._pos = {predicate:{object:set([subject])}}

      We have the first dictionary keyed off the first term, the second
dictionary keyed off the second term, and the set containing the third
terms(note terms plural). I guess I somewhat understand that sets are used
to test for membership.  Cannot that be done with dictionaries, though?

You could.  I suspect the pertinent difference here is that dict keys have
values associated with them.  The same code using a dict as the innermost
collection would look something like this:

self._pos = {predicate: {object: {subject: None}}}

That's a bit ugly because the None serves no purpose here; the value
associated with the subject has no meaning in this context.  It also
uselessly takes up space in memory that could add up to significant wastage
if the data structure grows to be large.

Indeed, CPython's sets are implemented as something like dictionaries
with dummy values (the keys being the members of the set), with some
optimization(s) that exploit this lack of values.

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com