Re: OO and game design questions

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 19:49:20 -0400, Dave Angel wrote:

Thanks, that is what I was trying to say. In the same sense that
emptying a list makes it quite small, if it's a general purpose object,
you just want to remove all the attributes.

I think a 'place' (to generalise it) is quite a small object in any case.
All it needs to contain is a few lists:
- a list of exits, which in some implementations might be simply
references to other places, but might usefully be objects with
two sides, each having an appearance and a link to the place
where that side appears.
- a list of fixed objects which only serve to describe the place.
- a list of mobile objects that actors can pick up and move
- a list of actors who happen to be there.

plus a describePlace() method and add(), remove() and getItem() methods
for each list. It may be possible to use a single list for all types of
object, in which case the object itself would be very small indeed.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK