Re: PEP8 compliance and exception messages ?

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 7:40 PM, shearichard <shearichard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi - PEP8 says lines should not exceed 79 characters in length
( http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/ ).

So if you've got some code that looks like this :

raise fooMod.fooException("Some message which is quite long")

... and assuming a certain amount of indenting you're going to break
that guideline.

However there's a way around that ! You can do this ...

raise fooMod.fooException("\
       Some message \
       which is quite long")

... but the trouble is when that Exception is raised the message is
displayed as :

"Some message                     which is quite long"

I'm aware that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of something or
the other so maybe I should just let the PEP8 verifier complain but
otherwise does anyone have any ideas for how to get around this ?

Use implicit string literal concatenation:

raise fooMod.fooException(
"Some message "
"which is quite long")
#) # you could also put the closing paren here instead

Alternatively, you could disregard PEP 8 on this point on the grounds
that the 79/80 characters per line limit is outdated.

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com